Wheelset

_jon_
_jon_ Posts: 366
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm currently building up a Zesty 314 frame (full XT with Fox RP23 shock and Fox 32 float RLC 140mm forks) and I have everything apart from the wheels. I currently have a lightweight hardtail with American Classic hubs, crest rims, and supercomp spokes (both wheels weigh 1375 grams and cost £460 3 years ago). I do like these wheels as they're light weight, low maintenance, and have stood up well to the beating I've given them.

I'm tempted to order a second pair for the zesty but I'm not sure if they'd be up to the job? I'll be doing the same sort of riding on the new bike (mainly trail centres with some riding in the peaks, Wales, long mynd, and bridleways) but hopefully going a bit faster over the rougher stuff. I only weigh about 65kg so I think I might get away with it?

The only reason I'm a bit unsure is because I'm guessing you'd be hitting things harder on a full suspension.

If you don't think they would be, what could you recommend? I like the look of the American Classic All Mountain wheels and can get the 2010 version new for £180 which seems like a bargain but they seem a bit heavy at 1910 grams. I'd be looking to spend less than £500 and preferable weighing less than 1600 grams. They'd need to be 26" with 15mm front and QR rear and I'd want a hub that wasn't too noisy.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    go for arch ex rims instead - not a huge weight increase and stonger or look to get a pair of LB rims
  • _jon_
    Thank you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would definitely recommend Hope tech enduro wheels. Tougher than my downhill wheels and the same weight as my old Mavic EX719 wheelset.
    Based on the design of the Arch EX but a harder alloy and eyelets for the spokes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Enduro rims are very heavy for their strength. Flows are better IMHO.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Enduro rims are stronger than flows. I killed flows in no time. EX721s are better than flows and the enduro rims appear to be as strong and certainly more resistant to denting.
  • benpinnick
    My enduro rims lasted about a week. Not a happy bunny.to be honest though that could have been the build quality as much as the rims, there's certainly a lot of metal in the enduro rim. You're right though, stans rims aren't all that.

I fi were building a new alloy wheel today I would probably only consider a wtb or sun rim.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    WTB i23 are very good rims
  • _jon_
    Thanks for your replies. I'll look into what you've suggested.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Light Bicycle carbon for my money. I've got some of their hookless 29er rims on American Classics with Revs and they're 1370g, you could go for their AM rims and still come in under 1600g, pushing the budget though. I'd consider one of their builds on Novatec hubs.
  • benpinnick
    FWIW I priced up their hope builds and they are not that cheap (considering its chinese built) for the fully built wheel. Seems like you could do it cheaper if you tried.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are the light bicycle Novatec hubs better than the rubbish Superstar use?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227

Novatec make Superstar hubs, or was that a loaded question? :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • benpinnick
    I think they are the same base model
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    benpinnick wrote:
    FWIW I priced up their hope builds and they are not that cheap (considering its chinese built) for the fully built wheel. Seems like you could do it cheaper if you tried.

Mmm, the Novatec builds aren't bad value ($568), but agree some of the others aren't so good, Hope being a near $300 premium is daft.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    superstar switch evo are rebadged Novatec D881SB front and D882SB I believe
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:

Novatec make Superstar hubs, or was that a loaded question? :D

Superstar Switch Evo hubs are Novatec, I believe all their other hubs are also rebranded Novatec as well.
    Novatec also make hubs for Nukeproof and Bontrager and many others.
    Quality ranges from terrible (Switch Evo) to pretty good.