1988 Bianchi Squadra - upgrade or buy new?

Canada Kevin
Canada Kevin Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi first time poster here.

I have a 1988 Bianchi Squadra - which I picked up from a garage sale. The frame is in awesome shape (Columbus tubing). I have limited funding to work with but I have the desire to have a "new" road bike. I am thinking of upgrading the components to new Shimano 105 (or something like that). The question I have - would you upgrade to new components or buy a new road bike. Looking for your opinions!!

Thanks!

K

Comments

• If you want a new bike, buy one. Trying to make a bike something that it isn't is a waste of your time and money.

By all means swap out any worn out parts, but otherwise, best to leave as is. Unless it's particularly special, unlike many old bike enthusiasts, I don't have a problem with switching to modern cartridge bearings, resprays, etc.

What spec is it?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Piccies please, and a list of kit. Get the opinion of the LBS. Try the old bikes forum site, can't remember its name

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Piccies please, and a list of kit. Get the opinion of the LBS. Try the old bikes forum site, can't remember its name

Retrobike, but based on what Google has turned up, this isn't a very high spec bike, so no need to overcomplicate things. I'd hope if it's been looked after that not a lot will be needed.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's a mid-range model, so not really worth heaping money on it - 7 speed parts still readily available.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • In the first instance I'd do neither. I would clean the thing up and just ride it.