Giant tcr frame size m/1.83cm?

matedeor
matedeor Posts: 11
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I''m about 1.83cm with a inseam of of 86.7cm. I'm planning of buying a Giant TCR advanced, the store advised me a medium frame size after they measured different bodyparts. They said that other parts of the bike, such as the top tube, where more important than the frame size. There was even no doubt between te m and m/l, the m/l was to large for a perfect position.

But when i look at the giant site that looks very small. The medium is for persons between 1.70 and 1.78. What do you people think about this?
Sorry for my bad english i'm dutch. The geometry of the giant trc is as follow:
8TCRComp.jpg

Comments

• I'd be surprised if medium was the right size. I'm 176cm tall and a medium is just right. Best to try both sizes before buying?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited August 2014
    I'm near as damn it your height at 182cm and if I was buying one it would have to be Medium (M/L would not work for me), so if they've looked at you closely it is not surprising at all they are saying medium.

That said, people aren't just different dimensions, inseam, arms, torso etc, they also ride in different positions. If you're after a sit up in the air position with a short stem them M/L might work. I wouldn't be able to get low enough on it myself.

It's all a bit personal but the Medium suggestion could well be completely correct.
  • I'm 175cm and rode a Medium TCR with 100mm stem. I built up another as a TT bike in size Small.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    1.86m and rode an M/L in Giant TCR (usually ride a 58cm in other brands)and it always felt good. The M/L is recommended for somebody shorter than me on the Giant sticker on the bike so the Medium may well be the right size for you even if Giant themselves recommend a different rider height.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    It maybe the shop has a medium in stock ready to sell! Try a different shop if you can. I suspect you are more medium/large.

This may help:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store ... orBike.jsp

Post the data back on here.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Those dimensions are very close to my 2008 TCR. I am 180cm, or just over it, and I ride a M. However, it is quite an aggressive position, with a lot of seat post showing, and with a 100mm stem.
    At 183, I wouldn't say it's too small for you, but you would probably be comfortable also on the M.L
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I'm 178cm (5'10") and ride a medium with 1cm spacers and 120mm -8 degree stem. My seatpost has 2cm of setback and my bars have a pretty long reach/low drop too, none of your compact bar shapes here. As the Giant size chart suggests I'm towards the upper end of who a medium will fit.

I'd be surprised if you don't need a m/l. Everyone has different body proportions/flexibility and riding positions they prefer as a result, but if I was 183cm I'd be sizing up for sure.
  • matedeor
    To be sure I measured myself again, and i'm 182.7cm :wink: . Saddle height is normally about 76-77cm.
    The store had only a size s in stock, not a m or m/l (delivery time 2 weeks). They measure my inseam, arms, torso et cetera and analyzed this data. I saw that my inseam was 86.7cm, the rest of the sizes I have not seen. The seller said that the position of the saddle relative to the bottom bracket was perfect with size medium and a 10/11cm stem. I have to say the seller was friendly and seemed to know what he was talking about.

In the store i have sit on a other size m giant tcr (aluminium version) bike and at a first view that seemed good to me, but i find it difficult to say of it's really a good size for me after a few hours of cycling. Is for example the height between the saddle and handlebars not to large, whith such a small frame size? I'm 25 and in a good condition, so maybe it's not a problem, but i'm not sure. Perhaps i should just trust the expertise of the seller in this.

The data of competitivecyclist:

top tube length 55.7 - 56.1 cm
    seat tube range CC 56.2 - 56.7 cm
    seat tube range CT 57.9 - 58.4 cm
    stem length 11.2 - 11.8 cm
    BB saddle position 85 - 87 cm
    saddle handlebar 52.9 - 53.5 cm
    saddle setback 3.7 - 4.1 cm
    seatpost type not setback

But i have to say that I doubt that everything is properly measured, because I measured it on my own :P . I go do a better measurement soon.
  • matedeor
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Those dimensions are very close to my 2008 TCR. I am 180cm, or just over it, and I ride a M. However, it is quite an aggressive position, with a lot of seat post showing, and with a 100mm stem.
    At 183, I wouldn't say it's too small for you, but you would probably be comfortable also on the M.L
    mfin wrote:
    I'm near as damn it your height at 182cm and if I was buying one it would have to be Medium (M/L would not work for me), so if they've looked at you closely it is not surprising at all they are saying medium.

That said, people aren't just different dimensions, inseam, arms, torso etc, they also ride in different positions. If you're after a sit up in the air position with a short stem them M/L might work. I wouldn't be able to get low enough on it myself.

It's all a bit personal but the Medium suggestion could well be completely correct.
    1.86m and rode an M/L in Giant TCR (usually ride a 58cm in other brands)and it always felt good. The M/L is recommended for somebody shorter than me on the Giant sticker on the bike so the Medium may well be the
    right size for you even if Giant themselves recommend a different rider height.

So maybe a medium is the right size despite the information on the giant website. A aggressive position is not a problem, as long as the position is not extremly aggressive.
    Do you now your saddle height or inseam?, so i can compare it.
  • letap73
    matedeor wrote:
    To be sure I measured myself again, and i'm 182.7cm :wink: . Saddle height is normally about 76-77cm.
    The store had only a size s in stock, not a m or m/l (delivery time 2 weeks). They measure my inseam, arms, torso et cetera and analyzed this data. I saw that my inseam was 86.7cm, the rest of the sizes I have not seen. The seller said that the position of the saddle relative to the bottom bracket was perfect with size medium and a 10/11cm stem. I have to say the seller was friendly and seemed to know what he was talking about.

In the store i have sit on a other size m giant tcr (aluminium version) bike and at a first view that seemed good to me, but i find it difficult to say of it's really a good size for me after a few hours of cycling. Is for example the height between the saddle and handlebars not to large, whith such a small frame size? I'm 25 and in a good condition, so maybe it's not a problem, but i'm not sure. Perhaps i should just trust the expertise of the seller in this.

But i have to say that I doubt that everything is properly measured, because I measured it on my own :P . I go do a better measurement soon.

Are these measurements correct?

Your BB to Saddle position is suggested as 85 to 87 cm that is a lot.
    Your saddle to handlebar is 52.9 - 53.5 which is short.

If the measurements are correct the TCR is not the ideal fit for you, the defy would be better. To put this into perspective I have a ML Defy, my inseam is smaller than yours, the head tube is much larger than the equivalent TCR - yet I have a drop of 11cm on the bike. If I was to replicate the fit on a medium TCR I would have a serious number of spacers and possible a drop of more than 11cm. Do you have any other fit values from any other road bikes you ride - you mention a saddle height of 76-77cm - which is similar to mine?
  • matedeor
    letap73 wrote:
    matedeor wrote:

Are these measurements correct?

Your BB to Saddle position is suggested as 85 to 87 cm that is a lot.
    Your saddle to handlebar is 52.9 - 53.5 which is short.

If the measurements are correct the TCR is not the ideal fit for you, the defy would be better. To put this into perspective I have a ML Defy, my inseam is smaller than yours, the head tube is much larger than the equivalent TCR - yet I have a drop of 11cm on the bike. If I was to replicate the fit on a medium TCR I would have a serious number of spacers and possible a drop of more than 11cm. Do you have any other fit values from any other road bikes you ride - you mention a saddle height of 76-77cm - which is similar to mine?

A drop of 11cm with a defy m/l and a inseam smaller then 86.7cm, serious? Measurements are probably not entirely correct, but close. Inseam is at least 86.7cm and saddle height about 76.2-76.8cm.
  • letap73
    On the defy I do have the stem slammed and my saddle height is 76.9 cm. I am certain your competitive cyclist data is either wrong or you have the wrong numbers there (can you check)!

On the bike you have (or fit you have been given) what is the saddle tip to the centre of the bars measurement?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I'm 182cm and popped into a shop to look at TCRs yesterday. Was fairly sure the M/L was the right size for me but the saddle was too high for me so the member of staff suggested a medium rather than adjusting the set height for me! Not sure if this helps other than to illustrate that you shouldn't always take the shop's advice.

With regards to the online calculations above I'm a bit confused as to why they are more specific about the seat tube length than they are about the saddle height.
  • matedeor
    edited August 2014
    letap73 wrote:
    On the defy I do have the stem slammed and my saddle height is 76.9 cm. I am certain your competitive cyclist data is either wrong or you have the wrong numbers there (can you check)!

On the bike you have (or fit you have been given) what is the saddle tip to the centre of the bars measurement?

My old bike I have sold Sunday :P , so i don't now. The toptube on that bike was 56cm with a 12cm stem, and it felt always a bit to long. The headtube was 17cm with (second-hand) a couple of spacers, and that was not a problem.
    I'm 182cm and popped into a shop to look at TCRs yesterday. Was fairly sure the M/L was the right size for me but the saddle was too high for me so the member of staff suggested a medium rather than adjusting the set height for me! Not sure if this helps other than to illustrate that you shouldn't always take the shop's advice.

With regards to the online calculations above I'm a bit confused as to why they are more specific about the seat tube length than they are about the saddle height.

The seller put the saddle on my height on a similar giant tcr medium (aluminium version)
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Saddle height of 78cm for me on the Giant TCR M/L that I had - no particular professional bike fit though just 'feels' right for me! The Giant sticker would recommend the L for somebody of my height but I was happy with the M/L fit. I think that you could perhaps argue it both ways in your case. Compact geometry results in quite a lot of seatpost showing anyway.
  • Here he is, saddle heigth is 75cm.

0gmewn1vgaw.jpg

ycevytsmivg.jpg

l3wz50xfhkp.jpg