Cheap (ish) wheelset recommendations.

effillo
effillo Posts: 257
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I am relatively new to the road cycling game. Cycled for a few years when I was late teens then forgot about it, I am now late 20’s and have in the last few months got myself a Cannondale CAAD8 on ride2work and really got back into it.

I have a fairly good level of fitness built from running for a few years and regularly race 10k’s and half marathons so got off to a good start on the bike. I have probably put in close to 1000 miles and tend to have an av speed of around 16.5mph to 17mph. Weight hovers around 73kg.

Apologies for the life story but thought it would be good to give a bit of background before I carried on as I know usually replies tend to ask these questions.

I am specifically looking at upgrading my wheels as most people I speak to tend to say start here for the biggest impact initially. Currently I have stock rims and tyres, Maddux RS 3.0 which I am led to believe are around 2400g (from a thread on here).

I am looking to spend around £200 on a wheelset, I know this is not a great deal but from what I am seeing I can expect to shed at least 800g at this price point which seems like a good chunk to me, especially from rotating mass, and will probably be a big leap from the standard set I have. I do not want to spend a massive amount as I am all new to this and to be honest I can see myself going for a more expensive bike next summer and selling the CAAD8 on, probably complete composite frame as I am likely to start entering duathlons.

Can anyone offer any opinions on what may be a good set to look at.....?

Thanks/

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Go into the Road Buying Advice section, type "wheels £200" into the advanced search function (using search ALL terms) and loads of hits should come up. Grab a coffee and work your way through all our personally biased opinions :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Go into the Road Buying Advice section, type "wheels £200" into the advanced search function (using search ALL terms) and loads of hits should come up. Grab a coffee and work your way through all our personally biased opinions :)

This ---^

Lots of threads on wheels around this price mark. My opinion, is up your budget to around £300 which will get you a very nice pair of hand built wheels that you can take with you to your next bike (Archetypes on 105 hubs or Factory Zondas)...I expect you will see these kinds of statement in your search results :wink:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    I would have gone for Zondas if my budget stretched a little further, but instead ordered some Camoagnolo Ventos from Ribble this week for less than £160 delivered. They weigh 1640gm and I took my bike out for a spin tonight & was very impressed with how they felt.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    At that price your have lots of options and there are some great sets out there.

As others have said do a quick search and you'll find lots of owner reviews and go from there. Your right though in its often the first and easiest thing to change is the wheels and tyres.

Worth noting though that if your current wheels are in good condition then you could always keep your new ones & when you sell your bike if you choose to just put the old wheels back on and keep the better ones. That way your not limiting yourself on the new wheels you choose.

Good luck
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...and don't underestimate the difference that a good set of tyres makes. GP4000S tyres are super quick but can cut up whereas Schwalbe Ultremo DD's are a fantastic allrounder...but at a price. 25mm would be my width of choice.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    +1 for tyres

Those Maddux wheels on 'dales are utter shit. I had some and the spokes kept going. I replaced them with some Fulcrum Racing 7s, which were way lighter - which tells you all you need to know.

+1 on the handbuilts at £300, get in touch with Ugo the Guru, try Strada.

It's just a hill. Get over it.