Cyclists near Stalybridge

CocoRide
CocoRide Posts: 9
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
Any cyclists living east of Manchester towards Stalybridge? I need some help. Me and my OH have just bought a house on Crowswood Drive http://www.bridgfords.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Stalybridge/407 and we're wondering what good cycling routes you can suggest nearby? Were beginners so something not too hilly

Comments

• CocoRide wrote:
    Were beginners so something not too hilly

Muahahaha! :twisted: :D

Sorry - can't help you with this "not too hilly" you speak of. But you're very lucky to have moved to some of the very best cycling in the country. You have Holme Moss on the doorstep.

http://www.strava.com/activities/94080876
  • gazman1
    gazman1 Posts: 77
    Cocoride, welcome to the forum, i am a relative newbie myself and live in Dukinfield. I am presuming you ride road bikes? I ride occasionally with a pal of mine who is in his 60s so nice and steady, if you would like to inbox me we can have a chat and try to arrange something, however I work away quite a lot so time is a bit scarce, Gary
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    You have moved to possibly the best spot for cycling for about a million miles, but don't tell everyone...

Any of the roads leading towards the big hills will be great, and you will enjoy getting up them eventually. The added bonus is that there is usually a prevailing westerly wind so you get help going up. It's also downhill all the way home.

There are lots and lots and lots of really good roads to ride from where you are, plus lots of off-road stuff from technical to flat to entertain you.

As a welcome break from assembling wardrobes, try a spin up towards Greenfield, then onto Uppermill, calling at the coffee bar Java, or any of the extremely numerous pubs along the way.

Shout out on here if you would like some pointers or a guide to the best bits.
  • Aww that's great news! Hopefully we'll be getting up those hills in no time...even if it's at a very slow pace!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    You are now in a great part of our country. You will simply love cycling around there. After try a pint or two at the station. Make sure you have low enough bottom gear. Remember it is better for a beginner to have a low gear you that you never need than it is to need one you do not have.

Note for southerners -- DO NOT CLICK THE LINK TO THE ESTATE AGENT. YOU WILL TURN GREEN WITH ENVY!
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    lesfirth wrote:

Note for southerners -- DO NOT CLICK THE LINK TO THE ESTATE AGENT. YOU WILL TURN GREEN WITH ENVY!

holy crap, I see what you mean! a 4 bed detached with double garage for £340k!!!! OMG! my way £340k will only get you a semi shoe box with no garage and a patch of grass for a back garden!

Lets see if my business is re-locatable!!! :roll: :roll:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    edited September 2014
    ignore
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I live nearby, but not close enough to know the routes. A lot of it is flat around there from what I remember (around those reservoirs in Audenshaw).

Didn't it used to be called Staly Vegas? :lol:

The god of all cycling roads anywhere near this area is quite nearby though - Snake Pass. :twisted:
  • I live in Hyde and go out towards Charlesworth and into Poynton, not very flat though, the link below is to my Strava route (i hope)

http://www.strava.com/activities/191308347
  • Am new to road riding and was looking for routes going from Denton out. Are there any people who regularly ride from around the Denton area?
    Genesis Core 30 2011
    BMC Trailfox TF02 2011