Wiggle - Debit Card Payments

warreng
warreng Posts: 535
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
Didn't really know where to post this but thought I'd ask advice/opinions from you bright sparks.

Payday today and I thought I'd buy a couple of things from Wiggle - nothing crazy, just £120. The card was declined which was odd since I've just been paid. So I called the bank fraud department and went through some ridiculous security questions and the block was removed. It's not the first time this has happened and it's getting to the point that I'm getting a little concerned every time I approach the checkout in Tesco.

The bank claim that it could be Wiggle has had their "risk level" increased maybe because they've targeted by fraudsters - is this a fair excuse or is that an excuse? Anyone else experienced issues with Wiggle payments?
2015 Cervelo S3
2016 Santa Cruz 5010
2016 Genesis Croix de Fer

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    paypal.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • warreng
    Paypal was declined too
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    that is odd. Are you a regular purchaser? (I know that is a silly question to anyone that bikes)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WarrenG wrote:
    Paypal was declined too

But how was paypal funded, via the debit card that was decline?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • warreng
    Yes - Paypal is funded via that debit card. It was declined then I used the debit card
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • warreng
    I haven't used Wiggle for about 5 months

I was just getting paranoid that my bank are being a bit harsh on me
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The bank is just regulating. Making sure there's no stealing of your property.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Have you tried Amigo Loans? :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • mdubz
    mdubz Posts: 5
    HSBC blocked my card following a purchase at wiggle.. found out when I tried to board a flight, I tried to buy an upgrade and card was declined.. not what you need when you are about to travel! It's just the bank watching your back.

Funny it was wiggle triggering blocks makes you wonder if wiggle are being targeted by fraudsters.. fairly easy to turn bike bits into cash down the pub I would imagine...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As they are untraceable why bother with the poor rates down the pub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    one thing with Wiggle when you pay with the card is that they never go through the 3D authentication that other sites go through hence on reason why it might have been targeted. It is only a guess though
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I only ever use credit cards myself for online shops.

Only exception is when paying in foreign currency through paypal, then I switch to debit, as you get charged a conversion fee on the card otherwise.

Anyway, I have not had any 'card trouble' for a good 2 years now, but for a time, when I was shopping plenty with CRC and Wiggle, I ended up having 3 credit cards compromised - no proof that it was either of them of course, and it may well not have been, but it seemed to crop up not long after an order - sometimes I might not order for a couple of months.

At that time, I was predominantly ordering from those 2 suppliers (2007-2009) as they used to, especially Wiggle, have some stupendous deals.
    Now it's a lot more spread out, Ribble, Merlin, Koo-Bikes, Evans, etc etc
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • warreng
    Ta everyone. It was the wife's birthday yesterday so we went to Kingston and gave the card a stress test and it passed with flying colours so it probably is just Wiggle's site being flagged at the bank as being a little risky
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If it's anything like my (ex) credit card company, they'll have declined it because it was a Wednesday. Or there was a U in the month. Or because a week ago you used it to pay for your lunch in Tesco - like you do everyday. The risk algorithms were absurd.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    If it's anything like my (ex) credit card company, they'll have declined it because it was a Wednesday. Or there was a U in the month. Or because a week ago you used it to pay for your lunch in Tesco - like you do everyday. The risk algorithms were absurd.

This. F@ckers at HSBC seem to think buying anything is a crime and worthy of blocking my card.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228

This. F@ckers at HSBC seem to think buying anything is a crime and worthy of blocking my card.

If it is another pair of red trousers then they are right.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

If it is another pair of red trousers then they are right.

My insignificant kingdom for a "like" button...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

My bank doesn't like it when I pay my credit card. Which is in my name. And the same one I pay on a regular basis.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?