Injured

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
Wednesday evening I was riding home along Narrow Street and my seatpost snapped out of the blue.
I instantly fell off the back and landed on my backside - it was absolutely agonising.

Thanks to everyone that stopped and helped. I walked to the office (CW) to get cleaned up and then I could feel myself going into shock as I headed down to the tube. I had to ask a security guard outside Waitrose for assistance as I thought I'd faint.

Anyway, the diagnosis from my doctor is: Massive Haematoma of the Left Buttock. It sounds comical - and it looks hilarious - but it is incredibly painful and I'm out for at least 6 weeks, probably more.

Thank god it didn't happen on the Highway.

Take care everyone.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You know the rules... POI..... oh. Errrr.

GWS
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Lucky you didn't land on your helmet...

GWS
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    Trust me you don't want to see this.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    No I do
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Ow.

Are you going to be using one of those inflatable ring cushions on the train?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,623
    Owch. GWS.

One of my nagging irrational worries, now seems a little less irrational. Hmmm <runs off to inspect seat post>
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • itboffin
    Oddly enough I always use alu seat post on my commuters after a similar issue 7 years ago.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat
    ITB - check your inbox.

Have now bought an alu seatpost.

It was an Alpina carbon that snapped if anyone is interested.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Carbon seat post? If so did it get wet?
    That does sound rather painful, definitely don't want pictures. Get well soon.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Ouch, GWS!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ouch! Get well soon.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I'm going with the We-need-pictures camp... :lol:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm going with the We-need-pictures camp... :lol:

me too....

I had a massive heamatoma of the right buttock after my off in february - and I also have a perfectly straight and horizontal scar where I slid across the tarmac.

Anyone want to see a pic of that?

GWS CC.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • clarkey cat
    yes please
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    From having failed to climb over a wide metal gate one evening in a drunken state, and using only my gentleman's area to arrest my fall in true "Carry-on" style (bar the penny-whistle SFX) , I can assure you that severe bruising in the groin region is neither painless nor picturesque. Off games for at least a fortnight...

To CC- a haemorrhoid cushion may assist.
  • Sounds horrible, get well soon!
  • itboffin
    ITB - check your inbox.

Have now bought an alu seatpost.

It was an Alpina carbon that snapped if anyone is interested.

cheeky :lol:

I'd get some beer down ya pronto until it heals up
  • itboffin
    you might want to buy a torque wrench and some carbon paste for the future :wink:
  • Wednesday evening I was riding home along Narrow Street and my seatpost snapped out of the blue.
    I instantly fell off the back and landed on my backside - it was absolutely agonising.

Thanks to everyone that stopped and helped. I walked to the office (CW) to get cleaned up and then I could feel myself going into shock as I headed down to the tube. I had to ask a security guard outside Waitrose for assistance as I thought I'd faint.

Anyway, the diagnosis from my doctor is: Massive Haematoma of the Left Buttock. It sounds comical - and it looks hilarious - but it is incredibly painful and I'm out for at least 6 weeks, probably more.

Thank god it didn't happen on the Highway.

Take care everyone.

Owch! as painful and serious as it is, glad it wasn't worse which clearly it could of been.
  • clarkey cat
    doc said last week that if its still very painful in a week then I will have broken my coccyx... which appears to be the case. Will go and get checked out tomorrow but I'm in a lot of pain, cant sit down and my coccyx hurts. :cry:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    doc said last week that if its still very painful in a week then I will have broken my coccyx... which appears to be the case. Will go and get checked out tomorrow but I'm in a lot of pain, cant sit down and my coccyx hurts. :cry:

Checking to see if your coccyx is broken may involve them prodding it from both the front and the back.

I kid you not.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Asprilla wrote:

Checking to see if your coccyx is broken may involve them prodding it from both the front and the back.

I kid you not.

Keep it schtum!! :D
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • clarkey cat
    D
    N
    I
    W

Got X-Rays on Monday.
  • veronese68
    Good luck, I hope that means no prodding and poking! :shock:
  • clarkey cat
    so - just over 2 months and + half a stone later I'm back on the bike for the commute. Very very slow and a bit nervy but I'll get there.
    Say hi if you see me around! :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What bike and what route?

Welcome back to the mayhem!
  • veronese68
    I wondered if it was you approaching the lights at Hampton Wick as I turned right. Caught a glimpse of a pink Rapha backpack cover.
    Ride carefully and hope to see you soon.
  • clarkey cat
    Not using the pink Rapha backpack cover anymore.

XL Black Dolan Mythos with red Ortlieb pannier.

Never seen anyone else with that set-up so highly likely to be me.

Route: Hersham -> Canary Wharf.
  • Not using the pink Rapha backpack cover anymore.

XL Black Dolan Mythos with red Ortlieb pannier.

Never seen anyone else with that set-up so highly likely to be me.

Route: Hersham -> Canary Wharf.

Chapeau