Equal spoke length = equal tension?

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Building up the rear wheel on Novatec disc hubs, A23 rims and my calcs (corroborated by Ugo) suggested equal spoke lengths on DS and NDS on rear.

Now of course "typically" you have a lower tension on the NDS with a longer spoke, should I expect equal tensions NDS and DS with the same length spokes? thanks.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    No, it's just because in that particular hub the left flange is bigger than the right, so it ends up being equal length... coincidence and irrelevant
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The forces exerted by the spokes on either side of the rim need to be equalised, but if the spoke angles vary, then the tensions will be different. For strong wheels, preference is to have as low a spoke angle as possible i.e. wider hub flange spacing. OP should have paid more attention in trigonometry class ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    wider flange spacing mean high bracing angle not lower Monty. the bracing angle is the angle the spoke is at from the vertical that is how it is all defined.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Aaaanyway it all worked out OK in the end. Lovely looking wheels. White hubs and black everything else, how very unoriginal ;-)