2014 Mondraker Foxy R - Black Edition

2»

Comments

• kester
    kester Posts: 79
    update. went with a new wheel in the end as previous wheel was more buckled than I thought, I got the stans flow with hope hub. was also my bday the other day so took the opportunity to spend bday money on a couple of things

firstly some new stickers for the pikes
    image_zpsv8wdilan.jpg

image_zpsgwksbkmr.jpg

turned out a bit lighter green than i was expecting but other than that happy with them.

secondly upgraded the fox air can to the vorsprung corset
    image_zpsya1aangr.jpg

only ridden it for 8 miles on a bumpy river path near me but also has a few cattle grids and tree roots along the way and the difference is noticeable. small bump sensitivity is good it actually felt better over some bumps than the pike did. mid stroke support is firmer than the fox can was too. obviously there are no big drops on a river path so when riding i bounced on the pedals a few times to try and use full travel and only used about 4/5 on the o-ring, not sure if that means the corset can is doing a better job on bigger hits or if i wasn't using enough force to get it to reach full travel, but it did feel much firmer than the fox can whilst doing this.

will give a better update when i have managed to get out properly, not sure when that will be as still sufferering effects of concussion from my crash in feb :evil:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bikes looking great! Tempted to try a corset or the new Fox EVOL aircan on my Foxy carbon, or just go the whole hog and get the new Fox DPS shock with EVOL already installed. They really are great bikes though, the more I ride mine the more I love it!
  • I'm very interested in your thread. I've had the same bike in silver for a year, i love it except for the fox 32 140mm forks on the front, they're just so soft all the time.
    How did the 160mm rock shox affect your riding position, did you feel noticeably higher up?
  • kester
    lawman wrote:
    Bikes looking great! Tempted to try a corset or the new Fox EVOL aircan on my Foxy carbon, or just go the whole hog and get the new Fox DPS shock with EVOL already installed. They really are great bikes though, the more I ride mine the more I love it!

sorry only just seen your post, cheers! yeah I heard about the EVOL in my LBS but after i had bought the corset, the fella in there said it was only £90 for the air can (dunno where from or when available). do you know if it is the same air can that will be on the new DPS shock? If it is a would imagine that would be a better investment than a whole new shock as can't imagine the differences to be that much different. Personally I would have loved to put a DB inline on the bike but those pesky struts next to the shock made it impossible!! If you do decide to go for the corset get it from TFTuned rather than get it shipped from vorsprung themselves as they had massive backlogs of orders when i looked. with TFTuned I ordered on the monday and it arrived tuesday mid morning and i just paid for the standard delivery.

I also saw your spec ed model foxy sat in an evans shop in liverpool the other day and must say it looks even more beautiful in the flesh i felt like buying it myself! thought they would have all been snapped up by now as I thought there was only 25 of them coming to the U.K.
    alimac2411 wrote:
    I'm very interested in your thread. I've had the same bike in silver for a year, i love it except for the fox 32 140mm forks on the front, they're just so soft all the time.
    How did the 160mm rock shox affect your riding position, did you feel noticeably higher up?

It felt marginally higher up for the first ride but you get used to after 1/2 hour of riding so after then I never noticed, also bear in mind that on the fox fork I used 20% sag and on the pikes I use nearly 30% so the offset of more sag on the longer forks is probably negated somewhat. The foxy frame is designed for 160mm forks as the Foxy XR comes with 160mm forks and it is exactly the same frame as the R model.

There is a big difference in performance compared to the fox 32 fork, the small bump sensitivity felt like riding along on a magic carpet when i first rode them plus has much better big impact performance i've never fully bottomed out the pike whereas i did loads with the fox. Also even though the pikes are longer and wider than the fox fork they weigh much less (didn't physically weigh them but to hold in your hand it was much lighter). I would definitely look to invest in either the pikes or fox 36 (I haven't tried those but lawman who posted above in this thread has them on his foxy so could give you a better idea if you ask him).

there is also a thread on mtbr with foxy owners so any other question try asking some of the guys in there too
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/mondraker-foxy-xr-27-5-a-902787.html
  • lawman
    Yep it's the same air can as they use on the new DPS shock, so I'm kind of tempted to stick with the current shock and get the new can, will see how I get on with some volume spacers first. I think I'm gonna try and get pretty aggressive with how I run the bike, run it super progressive with a fair amount of sag and see how it goes, just have a mess around really and see if I can make it even better than it is!

There might only be 25 of mine but they haven't been as popular as I thought they would. We still have 2 left in stock at work so they're certainly still elusive out and about. It is a great looking bike, though the alloy ones have grown on me, I was tempted to look at a second hand alloy frame to use as my winter bike instead of the BFe :lol:

As you say 32's are pretty pants these days. Older models flexed a little but at least they had a decent damper, my 2011 32 RLC's are still an awesome fork, just a shame they're a little weedy. I think 36's, while great, are little overkill for most, especially when pikes are so cheap after market. If your bike comes with a 36 then awesomes, but if upgrading I'd probably go for a Pike or maybe a new 34 as they are a huge, huge improvement over the old ones and all the fork most folks are ever likely to need.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Thinking of upgrading the can on my float x to one of the new ones on my Dune.. can't help but think ooo shiny!

I'm with you on the new 36 I would still buy a pike but if my bike came with one I'd be pretty please, think I'd still avoid the 34 though they are meant to be super plush now I haven't read anything that says they have stiffened up and to be honest when I test rode the 34's for 2014 model they were still nearly as flexi as a 32 as far as I could tell.
  • kester
    Not posted for a while, I have upgraded to new 11spd xt with an absolute black 32t chainring upfront.

image_zpsaa5q3hzp.jpeg

image_zpso9zo7ml9.jpeg

had my first proper ride out with the new bits on today at Newcastleton as its the closet place for me to get to, can't say I noticed a difference in having an oval chainring but hey ho! Everything ran smoothly just need to work on my fitness a bit due to no longer having a granny ring to use on some of the steeper sections.

Only sour pint of the ride was going past a couple of other riders and a dog walker on the in/out fire-roads saying hello to them all but not getting any form of response from any of them. Anyway here's proof that it can sometimes be sunny across the border into Scotland

image_zpsnaqubfrd.jpeg
  • I've finally upgraded my forks on my 2014 foxy r. Got rid of the soft fox 32's and upgraded to the 2016 160mm rock shox lyrics.
    I'm currently working away, and my bike has been in the shop getting the new forks put on as well as XT brakes, will be home in 6 days to try it out.

Does anyone know if the Fox 32's that were on the foxy r, were they the 2013 or 2014 edition, just for selling purposes? Thanks
  • Thewaylander
    Good call on the lyrics, would swap my pikes out but the pikes are so good! and I have DH bike for bigger stuff so I cant justify a set of lyrics for the Dune which is now my trail bike rather than do all bike :).

I think you have 2014 foxes by the way.
  • 2014 fox 32's, nice one!
    I was looking at the new Dune XR in a magazine last month, it's a thing of beauty.
    For me it was either going to be the pikes or lyrics, a few head to head reviews slightly favoured the lyrics, there wasn't a huge amount of price difference between them so just went for the lyrics.
  • Thewaylander
    2014 dune xr here, so just the alu one,

Yeah pikes are like 200g lighter or so, so they work for keeping the dune's weight low while providing performance, if I didn't have a DH bike aswell I'd probably be selling the pikes right now for a set of lyrics! that little bit stiffer and the rest :P
  • lawman
    2014 dune xr here, so just the alu one,

Yeah pikes are like 200g lighter or so, so they work for keeping the dune's weight low while providing performance, if I didn't have a DH bike aswell I'd probably be selling the pikes right now for a set of lyrics! that little bit stiffer and the rest :P

Funnily enough we (well I!!) was sad enough to weigh a 160mm pike and a 160mm Lyrik t'other day and the difference between the two was less than 80g, so next to nothing between the two!