flexy wheels help

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
evening,

i have mavic aksiums and they flex quite a bit,so much so i think they are rubbing on the pads whe pedalling. which annoys me.

could his be the case? any tips (apart from lose a bit of weight as im not light - im already on this)

change the wheelset as the spokes are radial, so do not cross over at all, which i am led to believe add strength.

tips or ideas?

ash

Comments

• chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Is it just the rear wheel when used under force? I'd firstly check if the wheels are tightened and centred correctly. If so I'd just release the tension of the brakes slightly using the barrel adjusters.
  • Both wheels, not necessarily both flexing under load but there is a shed load of flex In them. In that I can move them to the pads by hand!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I had no problems whatsoever with my Aksiums (err, apart from when the freehub died and the rims wore out) but I am 65kg...although if you can move them with your hands then weight sounds like a red herring.

If they really have lost tension that much then you might want to get your LBS to see if they can be re-tensioned (as in rebuilt).
  • Is it both wheels or just one? Brake rub at the back can be caused by frame flex. If you're at the upper end or over the recommended weight limit for the wheels (the most common number I've seen for factory wheels is 100kg), then you may experience some flex.

As for radial spoking, it's mostly fashion/looks, but it allows fewer and shorter spokes to be used, apparently builds a stiffer wheel, and is apparently minutely more aerodynamic.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    How much do you weight ?

Heavier and taller riders will put a lot more force through wheels and generally don't suit lighter wheels.
  • Probably at the upper limits, hence why I put I'm working on that. Didn't think it could be that though as there was no rub up until last week. The only thing that's changed is I did the ride 100. Fine up to and including that!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    In that case take them to the bike shop to be looked at. They may just need retruing after settling in a bit. Another thing is riding over rough parts of roads and pot holes won't help so try to avoid them if you are not already.