First new MTB in 20 years?

DeaconStrange
DeaconStrange Posts: 7
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at buying my first MTB in about 20 years, and thanks to the thread pinned to the top of this forum have developed an attraction to the RockRider 8.1.

Problem is, I'm not sure I want to, or even should (budget wise) spend 550 quid on a bike.
I want one that is well specced and will serve me well, and spotted the 5.3 which seemed like it would be a fair compromise, however....

Decathlon don't seem to have it listed on their site anywhere.
Has it been discontinued? Is there a new one coming out? I'm considering a trip to the nearest Decathlon store to "try some bikes for size" but that's over 100 miles away.

I have been haunting the local Halfords, which while closer doesn't have a lot that catches my eye. I've seen the Voodoo Bantu, and I'm just not sure I like it. Halford's Carrera brand seems ok, but also overpriced (let's inflate the price so we can pretend we took 200 off it and make it seem like a bargain)

That said it has been a long time since I was last one a MTB so what do I know.
Any suggestions around the 350 mark besides those listed in the pinned topic?

Or...

Would I really be better spending the 550 and getting the 8.1? I'm tempted.. I really am

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Voodoo bizango at halfords wins a lot of awards for £600.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    As a new poster on the forum, you are of course on double secret probation :wink: and you won't get decent answers until you provide the information that no-one tells you you should provide to facilitate helpfulness.

Your post doesn't say what kind of riding you plan to do. Are you planning all day rides or just some short blasts? Are we talking dismantled railways and tow-paths, trail centres, or holidays in the Alps?

Given the confusing array of offerings on the web, it often helps to post links to the particular bikes you're considering; this saves much confusion and posting at cross purposes.

Lastly, it can help to give some detail about yourself (5'10 but with the legs of someone 5'7 in my case for e.g.)
    Please don't take this reply as criticism, just advice so you can get the best help.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    True this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Although it is suggested in the FAQs but no one reads them.

Excellent deal around £350.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p275612

Damped fork that works, hydraulic brakes. Decent kit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rockrider 5.3 is now the Rockrider 520 and can be found on the Decathlon website.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry..

I am looking for a bike that is as good off road as it is on, I'm likely to be doing some trail riding in the (fairly) local forests e.t.c.. some general riding around, possible commuting to and from work.
    As for all day rides? well maybe eventually once my fitness level allows for it.

I'm 5'9 so looking at an 18" inch frame (or medium as I think Btwin lists them)
    Interesting to know that the Rockrider 5.1 is now the 520, and I have since last night been looking at the Calibre two two, though I think between the two (and I am sure I will get slated for saying this) I like the "look" of the 520 more, but which is better spec wise? Which would you go for out of the two?

Is there anything else I should be looking at in the sub 400 price range?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Calibre two.two seems mostly out of stock right now (if that affects your buying decision).

I would think a 16" would be a better fit at your height (same as mine and I ride a 16").

All day rides- if you can walk all day you can ride all day, just pick the right pace!

Nothing is as good off road as it is on, they are always better at one or the other, but for gentle trails and on road riding a hybrid may be a better bet, have a think about the Voodoo Marasa from Halfords
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I considered a hybrid, but then figured as I get more adventurous off road, i'd likely be needing those front shocks.
    I really need to try a couple out for size, I was basing the frame size on what I have read online across various sites.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Is there anything else I should be looking at in the sub 400 price range?

Might be worth looking at used bikes as you can often get a lot more value for money.

For example, a mate just got a barely used 2014 Cube LTD Racer 29 from eBay for £470, and they're around £1000 new. Not to suggest that bike, just showing what sort of good deals you can get.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I've been looking on ebay to see what's about, seems that most people selling are down south, there is a rockrider 8.1 on there at the minute that I asked about, but it's in canterbury and collection only (which it seems many are) and the seller wasn't prepared to hand it over to a courier (which is a bit naff)
    There's just so many different makes it seems nowadays that it's a minefield trying to pic whats best for your money when you're trying to get back into it after so long.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Where are you based? Plenty of calibre two twos at go outdoors in my local area which is around doncaster etc, might be worth popping in and checking one out.
  • CitizenLee
    Getting a suitable box and packing the bike can be a bit of a chore so I can see why some people are reluctant, although it's not that expensive to actually send them. Try Pinkbike as people on there tend to be more willing to post, and it often has a better selection of bikes.

Here's a search with a set budget of £400:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/listnew ... rice=..400

See if there's any you like, post them here and we can tell you if they're shite or not :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Thanks that gives me something to look through.
    I'm based near to Middlesbrough
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The go outdoors in Stockton has an 18" two two in stock if it helps
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks that gives me something to look through.
    I'm based near to Middlesbrough

Is the Highland Lad still open in Stockton? Should be able to get a top end £2k bike for about £50 in there :lol:

I'm originally from Norton ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • lukas125
    lukas125 Posts: 11
    cooldad wrote:

Seems like an amazing deal. Whats the downside?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lukas125 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Seems like an amazing deal. Whats the downside?

Decent bike, excellent price. I don't see any downside.

You're just not paying for a big brand.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Took a look at the Calibre Two Two yesterday...
    I think that's where my money will be going.
  • In a case of sods law, another bike I was looking at has dropped into my price range.
    Halfords have taken £100 off the Voodoo Hoodoo making it £399, only £30 more than the Calibre Two Two.

I haven't been and bought my bike yet, but was going to this weekend or next, now the question I must ask the experts here is.

Voodoo Hoodoo vs Calibre Two Two

With only £30 between them, which is the better buy? I see the Hoodoo has a better fork, but I believe the Two Two has better gears..

Advise?

(Couldn't get into my other account btw... it's what comes of logging in from work)
  • Thinking of a cheap upgrade from my ancient MTB, and in theory the Calibre Two.Two seems to fit the bill. Popped into the local GO Outdoors and was impressed, but gather they only come in 18" or 20", and I'm concerned the 18 is too big for me. The ancient Kona is 17".

I'm about 5'8", but have pretty short legs. Any thoughts?

(Yes, I tried it, but to be honest I know fun all about mountain bikes and couldn't really say for certain.)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How did it feel? Height has a very general and wobbly correlation with what frame size you need - especially when they measure them in different ways. Arm, leg, torso length all matter. After all, if your head is 2 inches larger than someone elses, it ain't gonna matter ;-)
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm about 5'8", but have pretty, short legs.
    I have short legs for my height, but I don't go on about how pretty they are! :P
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp