Another upgrade bike or buy new one thread.

Viti
Viti Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi. I looking for some advice, I bought a 2011 gt avalanche 1.0 disc couple of years ago for a very good price of £380 new as, newer model was coming out. The bike has served me will, helping me get from 16stone to 12stone. Now I want the bike to shed some weight , as I weighed it last night and it came in at 15kg, and I always thought it was 14.1kg as advertised. I do still struggle on steep muddy trails hills, etc with the weight of it. Really my question is, should I upgraded the wheels and shock, and to what to make it lighter ? Or to lose bigger weight should I just buy a boardman team ht 650b which comes in at aprox 12.5kg. Or could you recommended another brand of bike around the £900 mark. Just notice the boardman can go for under £600 secondhand, might be last year model, but I don think they change spec wise. , so that could also be an option. Would I need to spend to much money to get my gt down by 2.5kg? As I really do like this bike

Boardman link.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2014#tab2

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gt spec below
Frame:
Butted 6061 Hydroformed, Zero Stack Headset
Fork:
Rockshox Tora 302 coil 100mm travel
Front Derailleur:
Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano XT Shadow
Number of Gears:
Shifters:
Shimano Deore
Chainset:
Shimano M442
Chainrings:
44/32/22
Bottom Bracket:
Shimano ES-25
Cassette:
Shimano HG-30 9 speed 11-34
Chain:
KMC HG-53
Pedals:
GT Slim line flat pedal. .......now wellgo v8
Front Brake:
Shimano M445 Hydraulic with 180mm rotor
Rear Brake:
Shimano M445 Hydraulic with 160mm rotor
Brake Levers:
Shimano M445
Handlebars:
All Terra 6061
Stem:
All Terra 3D forged
Headset:
FSA NO.10
Grips:
GT Wing Dual Density
Rims:
Alex TD-24 Doublewall
Front Hub:
GT All Terra alloy disc
Rear Hub:
GT All Terra alloy Cassette
Front Tyre:
Maxxis Mobster 26×2.3. .....Now on 2.4 mountain king folded
Rear Tyre:
Maxxis Mobster 26×2.1....... Now on 2.2 mountain king folded
Saddle:
WTB Pure V sport
Seatpost:
All Terra Micro Adjust
Seat Binder:
GT Forged QR
Weight:
14.10 kgs

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Not sure on the weight of the wheels but I expect a fair amount of weight can be lost there, plus a good chunk by changing the fork to a decent air sprung one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Tora's are heavy as heck, a decent air fork will drop you about 3/4 of a Kg, decent folding tyres can save you about .5-.75Kg as well, then you have various options that are cheap like grips, maybe a 1x conversion and so on.

You can probably save about 0.5Kg on the wheels as well.

Buying new will push the price of that close to the Boardman (nearer 13Kg once you add pedals), but get some good used parts and you can do tyres, forks and wheels for about £275.

The Avalanche is not the lightest of frames, about 2.1Kg for a medium so you are at about a 350g deficit to an 'averagely light' alloy frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.