Helmet

bj639
bj639 Posts: 76
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks,
I am looking into upgrading my helmet. I currently have a Bell (cant think what model but its about 5 years old and was one of the lower end ones.) it works fine of course but does make me look a bit like a mushroom and gets a bit warm.

I notice Chain Reaction have a big sale on including a ton of helmets so wondered if any on this list were worth looking at?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clea ... 57818,2258

price wise £50 is about safe, I could possibly stretch to £60ish if it made a good difference. There seem to be plenty heavily discounted but doesnt help on their quality!

I do trails mainly

Comments

• kester
    kester Posts: 79
    I have the Troy Lee Designs A1 in yellow that I got from CRC a couple of months ago, I really like it, its nice and light so you almost forget your wearing a helmet but is a solid design

there have been a few reviews saying that it is prone to giving you a warm head but the times i've ridden it even when it was really sunny i've not felt that much of a difference compared to my old helmet. going uphill at slow speed you can notice it a bit more but at normalish speed and downhill you would never notice

the helmet usually retails for £150 but as they are last seasons colours they are on massive discount so if you could stretch to £60 your basically getting a helmet for 1/2 price

hope this helps
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You can usually find the Fox Flux for under £60. Great lid for the cash.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    CitizenLee wrote:

I have got one of them, very comfy but it cooks my head. It will get plenty of use in winter but for now my beat up old Giro Hex is still getting used most of the time.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:

I have got one of them, very comfy but it cooks my head. It will get plenty of use in winter but for now my beat up old Giro Hex is still getting used most of the time.

Must admit, I do like the Hex. Seems like a Xar for less cash.

661 Recon might be another to look at.

I ended up with an IXS RS Trail which I would highly recommend (light given the protection, great fit and well vented) but it's over the stated £60 budget. My girlfriend has the ladies version of the Flux, but can't say I've tried it outwith the house :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    I use a 661 recon and am very happy with it, forget its on and it stays where it should!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    £20 on one fits by head.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mcnultycop wrote:
    £20 on one fits by head.
    Just bought one to try. Fits me well, very light, comfortable.
    And looks Enduro.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    cooldad wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    £20 on one fits by head.
    Just bought one to try. Fits me well, very light, comfortable.
    And looks Enduro.
    It does look reasonable, but 58 cm (my size) is on the cusp of the two sizes offered.
    What size did you get Cooldad and how big is your head?
    (Stop sniggering at the back!)
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    About the same - man size.
    I was also just on the edge - 57/58 or thereabouts (difficult to measure your head.)
    I went for the smaller size and it fits perfectly. It has a wheel adjuster and there is quite a bit of adjustment - would still have fitted fine if my head had been a bit bigger.

From On One direct they are £19.99 so unless you buy other stuff they add on £2.50 for postage but on their Ebay site it's the same price but free postage. I am a cheap bastard.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    It's a pretty basic design - the padding is just held in with velcro but it's already done a decent job protecting me from low flying branches - I don't fall off much but I do ride into stuff - it's an age thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    cooldad wrote:
    About the same - man size.
    I was also just on the edge - 57/58 or thereabouts (difficult to measure your head.)
    I went for the smaller size and it fits perfectly. It has a wheel adjuster and there is quite a bit of adjustment - would still have fitted fine if my head had been a bit bigger.
    Thanks, that's useful to know.
    cooldad wrote:
    From On One direct they are £19.99 so unless you buy other stuff they add on £2.50 for postage but on their Ebay site it's the same price but free postage. I am a cheap bastard.
    The way I look at it, that's £2.50 you can spend on beer.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • bj639
    thanks for the replies folks.
    Having eliminated a few I have narrowed it down to two:

the A1 Troy Lee Designs
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy ... prod110240
    its at £59.99 so savign a fair chunk. Wondered if its overkill for my use. I do a fair bit on roads as well as trails but they are red routes rather than leaping off buildings!

The other is the Giro Phase 2013:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/giro ... -prod94069
    Its priced at £47.77 so a bit cheaper and looks a lighter cooler helmet but on the face of it less of a bargain?

Any opinions helping me decide?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Troy Lee kit always seems to get fantastic reviews... despite the bloody awful graphics!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • CitizenLee
    Not sure if I'd fancy the A1 for road use. Depends on how many miles though. It's only a bargain if it's going to be suitable really.

The Phase looks cool, but the very similar Hex can be found for under £40.

The On-One Trail mentioned above looks like a steal for 20 quid! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • bj639
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Not sure if I'd fancy the A1 for road use. Depends on how many miles though. It's only a bargain if it's going to be suitable really.

That was my worry that the discount was swaying me!! In terms of miles just short trips between 15 - 25 miles usually.

Have found a xar within my price range it's the 2011 model. Only in a duff colour but that doesn't matter too much.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HEGIXAR/giro-xar-helmet-2011

Maybe a better option?

My only concern with the Xar is its sized from 59-62cm and my head is 59. Giro's mediums go up to 59 so I am on both sizes really!
  • bj639
    went for the A1 in the end. The Giros I was right on the line between the two sizes and I think the overheating on the A1 shouldnt be a problem with winter coming. Appreciate all the help
  • CitizenLee
    Nice choice! You'll have to report back how you get on with it ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • bj639
    will do
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    A1 is nice got a £50 bargain from CRC however as they are comfortable the padding does make them warm.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • bj639
    managed to test it out today, the fit is fantastic, its that secure it is solidly in place even without the chin strap fastened. Felt comfortable while out and about.It does get a little warm but no warmer than my previous helmet so doesnt bother me so much and its probably welcome come winter!

Quality is very good

Happy with the purchase