Replacing gear cables question

Xommul
Xommul Posts: 251
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi folks some noob questions about replacing gear cables.

I noticed the ends of my gear cables are frayed so I'm going to replace them. So what cables do i buy?
I have internally routing cables and SRAM force shifters can anyone recommend some good gear cables?

Do i have to unwrap the bar tape swell?

As my cables are internally routed is there a trick to getting them to find their way through the frame?

Do i also need to change the outers too?

Cheers for any help given

Xom
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Xommul wrote:
    As my cables are internally routed is there a trick to getting them to find their way through the frame?
    I have often wondered why, when replacing internally routed cables, one doesn't attach a draw-string to the old cable, to ease the insertion of the new
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    SRAM do their own, Jagwire will do cables that fit, I think Shimano cables fit too. No need to untape bars if just doing inners (in theory at least, but I confess I've never just replaced inners and I can forsee issues getting the inner "blind" all through the shifter! YMMV). As for internal routing, on my bike at the bottom of the BB shell you can unscrew the guide plate to leave a hole. I just fed the inner in as far as I could down the downtube, then used a hook made of thin wire to grab the cable! You can (if you're good at knots) fasten some cotton thread to the old cable and pull it all through, then untie and fasten to your new cables and reverse the operation. never worked for me! Similarly for the rear brake (internally run) the rear cable stop on the top tube unscrewed to let me "hook" the cable out.
  • You tube has loads of vids showing how to do it. I watched one and did it myself, very easy!