Gatorskins 25mm, or are they???

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
I bought a single 25mm Gatorskin the other day from ChainReaction and it says 25mm on the side wall, but I'm convinced it's actually a 23mm...

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

Comments

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I'm convinced my 34" pants are actually 32". But that's just me.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    It's also rim-dependent. A more extreme example would be 33mm Clement CX tyres, which come out somewhere over 40mm when mounted on (very wide) Stan's Iron Cross rims. That said, I suspect they'd come out more than 33mm on even the narrowest rims. Even tubular tyres vary a bit depending on the rim; iirc, a slightly larger diameter rim will distort the tyre differently, making it slightly narrower. Can be an issue with CX tyres, where there is a maximum width for some races.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    As said above depends on your rim. However you will notice a difference once they are on the bike.

For me, the only way to quick release my wheels when I have 25mm on is to deflate a bit of the tyre :(

However its a great upgrade for London roads!
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • london-red
    Thanks all - I've emailed CR to ask if they've had any other complaints... Saying that, it could well be the rims as I've put it on a newly built Excellight, which I think comes in quite narrow.

Maybe an optical illusion :oops:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I've got a 25mm Vittoria if you want to compare it, not back until next month though. Well, evening of the 31st.
  • london-red
    I've got a 25mm Gator on the rear, but it's a different rim. Could swap them to see if it makes any difference, but I'm far too lazy for that...

How's the weather?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Better than there by the sounds of it, been poor by Tuscan standards though. Temperature is mid to high twenties with a bit of cloud every now and then. But, not bad enough to put a dampener on anything, plenty warm enough to laze around with the occasional swim in the pool. Pretty much perfect for me. :-)
  • I have 25mm gaterskin on the rear of the SS and A 4seasons on the front, before that had various 25mm mavic/schwalbe tyres. All seem about the same size, ie a touch bigger than 23mm.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Is there a problem with them?

Manufacturers oversize so they are lightweight for the (claimed) size.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    A common mistake is to think the dimension written on the side of the tyres is referring to WIDTH, when in fact it's referring to HEIGHT. Obviously, as a tyre gets taller it's also going to get wider too but not always by the same amount (puncture protection strips make the tyre more oval in shape externally even though the inner surface is more round). And the oval shape can be more pronounced on narrow rims than on wider ones.
  • london-red
    Ouija wrote:
    A common mistake is to think the dimension written on the side of the tyres is referring to WIDTH, when in fact it's referring to HEIGHT. Obviously, as a tyre gets taller it's also going to get wider too but not always by the same amount (puncture protection strips make the tyre more oval in shape externally even though the inner surface is more round). And the oval shape can be more pronounced on narrow rims than on wider ones.

That changes everything :lol: