Sram gear cables

gloomyandy
gloomyandy Posts: 520
edited August 2014 in Workshop
The gear cables on my SRAM Red 2012 (10 speed) are starting to shed the coating of whatever it is that Gore cables (the ones supplied with my shifters) have on them. This made me realize I have no idea what to replace them with. My understanding is that Gore no longer produce cables, so what do SRAM ship as standard now? Looking on the SRAM web site there seem to be two different shifter cable kits one of which has 1.1mm cables the other (called SlickWire) 1.2mm cables, no indication as far as I can see as to the compatibility with different shifters (it just says road and Mtn). Anyone got any experience of these or that can recommend a cable set that will work well with Red 2012?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Um, SRAM's own, or transfil (both listed on Wiggle as suitable). Or maybe even Shimano, as I think they're the same nipples (others will no doubt confirm, or contradict me!). I wouldn't worry about 0.1mm difference in diameter myself.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    You need 1.1mm cables. Any will do.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,178
    the original sram cable spec was 1.1mm, some people say 1.2mm are tight but i use 1.2mm powercordz in sram red (2010) with no issue

if you can get 1.1mm i'd still do it as it may give a smidge less drag

the old sram/gore cables are notorious for the coating shedding and jamming, i'd change the outer at the same time

shimano/sram are the same fitting, campag is different
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny