Five ten "flavours"?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
want to try some five-tens (for flats), but a bit unsure about which type to go for.

I know the Freerider Elements are meant to be "winterised", which appeals, but I'm not sure whether the low-cut design might prove to be a bit limiting - a foot down in any sizable puddle is going to render them "un-winterised" pretty quickly.

For that reason, I'm tempted by the Impact 2 High, which is more like a walking boot cut, however I don't know anyone who uses them, and can't find any information to gauge to what extent they're likely to be water-resistant.

Any experiences, thoughts or other suggestions?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Short version: buy shoes based on fit and grip, not on weather-resistance.

None of them are water-resistant (the Elements is just marginally better at not turning into a giant sponge). For comfort's sake waterproof socks are the thing; any shoe is going to let in water. Shimano shoes are slightly better at dealing with spray because they're basically fully closed on the surface, but dunk them in water and they also turn into a sponge.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Sorry, re-reading my original post, I have made it sound like I'm only asking about water-resistance, but that's not the only thing I'm interested in - I just wondered how the impacts and freeriders compared on that score.

However, I'm also looking for people's general experiences of the different five-ten models - It seems that most mtbers use Freeriders, and there's loads of reviews etc. However, if I'm after something a bit more robust, the Impacts seems like a good bet, but there just doesn't seem to be the same wealth of information.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    the new impact vxi looks ideal IMO, same grip as the old one but lighter, slimmer, slightly more splash proof and dry quicker
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    The new impacts are a big improvement on the old ones. Lighter, better made, not as clumpy and crucially they dry out pretty quick. Pair them up with some seal skins for winter and they'll be warm & dry
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano AM41's are better. I wouldn't go back to 5.10