Tips on gearing

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
So not a totally beginner but still would class myself as in the learning curve.

Wanted some advice on gearing, especially on hill climbs, should i go to the low gear and pedal like crazy, high gear and get out the saddle and push?

On flats should i pick a gear where I can pedal fast with ease, or higher gear where I am not pedalling as freely but still coping?

I don't have a cadence measure on my computer, so can't really use that to judge, more based on feel, I have tried out mix of those methods, just trying to figure out whats the optimal way.

So the aim is simple, I just want to get quicker times on usual routes.

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Spinning is winning
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    For me depends on the hill & how I'm feeling. I can generally spin in a lighter hear up most, however if I'm feeling strong or pushing on a training ride I might stay in the same gear and pedal all the way to the top or jump out of the saddle.

FWIW I don't think there is a right or wrong way but most people will advise that a lighter gear with a higher cadence is more efficient.

Try a few things and see what works for you
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • It really depends on what you're trying to do. In general, higher cadence is better, though it can be tough while you build your fitness. The important thing for pretty much all cycling disciplines is that you pace yourself.

As for climbing hills, much the same applies. Don't blow up at the beginning; keep your cadence up and ride steadily. Maintain momentum, and shift through your gears; don't drop down to the lowest gear you have straight away. Climbing out of the saddle is good for short climbs, and sometimes cannot be avoided on really steep sections. Generally accepted wisdom these days is that spinning in the saddle is more efficient and faster, but both have their uses.

Ultimately, the numbers don't lie: if you are pedalling at 90rpm but your gear is 50x24, you won't be doing 25mph. Think of it a little like building strength by lifting weights - build up gradually.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Mix it, start off spinning and get out of the saddle when it gets steep.

It's really down to what you find comfortable, I tried stretching the spinning thing out this year and it's resulted in a bad back, but as soon as I went back to getting out of the saddle earlier on the steeper bits my back is fine again and I'm climbing quicker.
  • jpower
    Thanks. So spinning and gradual gear down and out of saddle for steep stuff.

One thing I find is if I have been spinning then get out saddle the gear feels too low, is it better to raise a gear before getting out the saddle?
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    jpower wrote:

One thing I find is if I have been spinning then get out saddle the gear feels too low, is it better to raise a gear before getting out the saddle?

Its more efficient to climb in the saddle where possible.

The lower the cadence the more stress it puts on your legs. The higher the cadence the more stress it puts on our cardo system. For this reason people like to spin rather than grind as your cardo can recover quicker than your legs.

Ultimately you need to get out there and experiment and see what works for you. Personally I like a high cadence but sometimes I like to grind it out.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    jpower wrote:

It depends a bit - all things being equal I find I like to pedal more slowly when out of the saddle so will drop or cog or two. However when the going gets really tough and I have to stand, then I'm already struggling to turn the pedals so will stay in bottom gear. Just try it on moderate and steep hills and get a feel for it. Practice makes perfect.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jpower wrote:

Yes, generally you should, unless you can't manage seated; this is an easy mistake to make. If you're doing it effectively, throwing your weight at the pedals should increase power (FWIW I haven't measured), but it's less efficient, your position is less aerodynamic, and your cadence will be lower - if you use the same gear you can manage in the saddle, you'll waste energy and go slower. Try some short shallow climbs out of the saddle in the big ring and see how you get on.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    On flats, 'spinning' should be at a 'comfortably brisk' rpm (for many people about 80-90), with leg muscle exertion at a level that you can maintain for the time duration.
    This method prevents the muscles from tiring too quickly,

It is NOT at overly high rpm and low muscle exertion.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Group rides can become chaotic when a lead riding on a hill decides to stand up because the natural tendency appears to be slow the cadence down by about 10rpm. This means that the lead rider effectively slows abruptly causing much merriment in anyone following the Froome-dog in front.

I try and ensure that I either shout out (something like "Standing"), or maintain speed by going up a gear (to compensate for the lower cadence) or ensuring that the cadence doesn't drop. Then, drop the speed gradually to suit my sustainable effort (waiting for the next one in line to take up the lead where approp).

Cadence often comes up on here. The only tip I can offer is experiment and see how you get on. Some folks like spinning but history shows that there were some fantastic climbers who slowly mashed their way up the big slopes so spinning is just one factor but no magic solution for everyone.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Spend most of the time pedalling smoothly and relatively quickly this result in efficient riding. Occasionaly give it a go in a big gear to build up strength. When you can combine to two the result will be riding quickly.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Getting out of the saddle takes it toll on my old knees, so I tend now try to spin up hills in low gears in the saddle.
  • jpower
    Will test all some more tomorrow. Efficiency is the key.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Out of saddle > more power + higher effort > tire more quickly. Spinning works your cardio system harder, plus it takes time to develop the muscle reflexes to engage your muscles effectively to develop a smooth, fast cadence. It works differently for many people, so simply put ride hills and find out what works best for you.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jpower
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Out of saddle > more power + higher effort > tire more quickly. Spinning works your cardio system harder, plus it takes time to develop the muscle reflexes to engage your muscles effectively to develop a smooth, fast cadence. It works differently for many people, so simply put ride hills and find out what works best for you.
    Thanks that does seem like the way, something is working as my time for my usual route is coming down.