SRAM rival 22 chainset with 10 speed 105.

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Ok, so I need to change my chainset to a double from a compact. I currently have 10 speed 105 and a fsa gossamer pro compact. I have bb30 so I note the rival comes in this option as standard.

In the near future I want to go full 11 speed and add a stages power meter as they do a rival option.

The question is, can I mix the SRAM rival 11 speed chainset with the current 105 10 speed set up I have?

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Yes. Chainsets are groupset agnostic. For instance I am running a SRAM chainset with Campagnolo and a KMC chain (although it is all 10 speed).
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The chainrings on the 11sp chainset are marginally closer together than on a 10sp chainset, but I doubt that will cause any rubbing problems (due to the 10so chain being that bit wider than an 11sp one).

You could, in the short term, buy replacement chainrings only - there are several manufacturers that do 39/40/52/53 rings with a 110mm (compact) BCD. Mavic certainly do (I have a "compact" Mavic chainset and 4 rings, 34/39/50/52 all 110BCD) to, ahem, "ring" the changes). I believe SRAM may do so as well.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I looked at the Stages SRAM crank and it does not fit a BB30 crank, only the GXP option.

Otherwise, you can mix and match. I am using Force 22 with Di2 and think this is the best of all options.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro