best disc brake rotors

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hiya, I need some new disc brake rotors in 203 and 185 mm, which would you recommend? Under £15 each please. Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No real difference between any of them, don't get floaters, and from your sizes you aren't after lightweight ones, personally I use mostly second hand ones, you could get a pair of Avid Cleansweeps which tend to be a little less prone to warpage.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    I've got an Avid GS3 185mm that's just come of a bike. couple of years old but in good condition. PM me if you are interested. Think I also have a pair of Avid 203s that came off of a mates bike. Not sure of the exact model but could check when I get home.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The Rookie wrote:
    No real difference between any of them, don't get floaters, and from your sizes you aren't after lightweight ones, personally I use mostly second hand ones, you could get a pair of Avid Cleansweeps which tend to be a little less prone to warpage.

My last 3 bikes have all had Hope floaters. Nowt wrong with them apart from a little extra weight. I've only ever bent one.

Pinkbike and eBay can be good for bargains ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CitizenLee wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

My last 3 bikes have all had Hope floaters. Nowt wrong with them apart from a little extra weight. I've only ever bent one.

Pointless, heavy, and create unnecessary clearance problems on many bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Pointless, heavy, and create unnecessary clearance problems on many bikes.

They look cool (IMO), they're stiffer and they shed heat better. No clearance problems on any bikes I've used them on either.

As for weight...

Hope Floating 183mm - 147g
    Avid G2 Cleansweep 180mm - 149g

You were saying? :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    OK, pointless then. Unless you show me the stiffness and heat bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Don't know about stiffer, especially when the rivets go loose and they flop about!
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:

I've only bent 1 out of the 7 or 8 I've owned and that was from a bad crash... vs quite a few bent or warped ones from other brands like Avid, Shimano, SuperStar and Hope non-floating.

As for heat dissipation, the burden of proof is on you if you dispute it ;)

Looks are subjective, but I like them so that's all that matters!

Never popped a rivet either Supersonic.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • cooldad
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I've only bent 1 out of the 7 or 8 I've owned and that was from a bad crash... vs quite a few bent or warped ones from other brands like Avid, Shimano, SuperStar and Hope non-floating.

As for heat dissipation, the burden of proof is on you if you dispute it ;)

Looks are subjective, but I like them so that's all that matters!

Never popped a rivet either Supersonic.
    I've never bent any rotor, and never used a floating one, so that blows that argument.

As for heat dissipation, onus probandi. (Google it)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's not popping the rivet - it's them becoming loose, so if you hold the brake on and rock the bike the wheel moves slightly even though the disc is held.
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    I've never bent any rotor, and never used a floating one, so that blows that argument.

As for heat dissipation, onus probandi. (Google it)

Can you bend rotors on canal paths? :lol:

You lay the charge they're pointless, therefore semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit
    It's not popping the rivet - it's them becoming loose, so if you hold the brake on and rock the bike the wheel moves slightly even though the disc is held.

To be honest I've seen this happen to a friend's but it was ancient. Mine have all been ok!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • cooldad
    Your latin is better than your logic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    Your latin is better than your logic.

My logic is based on owning them and using them for the last 6 or so years, whereas you've admitted you've never bent a rotor or even used a floating one, so I'll take whatever else you have to say on the matter with a pinch of I don't really give a sh!t ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • cooldad
    Never bent one because I can ride, and never used a floating one because I don't buy pointless cr4p.
    Just saying.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    Putting aside dyno testing and the like, I'll take my own experience of them over the opinion of a boring old fart. Cheers though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • cooldad
    Sadly resorting to personal insults.
    I'll take that as your acceptance of defeat.

But I still love you.

(ps that could be sarcasm.)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    By your own experience you've seen them fail, old or not. Old solids would have been fine.
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:
    Sadly resorting to personal insults.
    I'll take that as your acceptance of defeat.

But I still love you.

(ps that could be sarcasm.)

I highly doubt I've managed to insult you :D

Take it however you want though champ, it won't change my opinion of them.
    By your own experience you've seen them fail, old or not. Old solids would have been fine.

I've seen ONE fail. I've also seen a Mega with a cracked chainstay, didn't stop me buying one :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All rather academic as you won't get Hope floaters for less than the £15 budget given!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    The Rookie wrote:
    All rather academic as you won't get Hope floaters for less than the £15 budget given!

Haha, touché :)

I wasn't actually suggesting the OP buys them (I suggested PB and eBay for bargain rotors), I was just disputing the claim that they're pointless. I get some people don't like the look of them, but the reasoning for their existence is sound in that the two piece design is to aid heat dissipation, which helps makes them less prone to warping as only the braking surface has to deal with the heat. You can tell it works as when you touch the carrier after a long downhill ride they're still cool, whereas the braking surface isn't, although it cools very quickly. Less heat also means more braking power. The alloy spider also makes them lighter, size for size. Plenty of stuff online to back this up.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Floating rotors are only worth having if you can't ride properly and have to drag them down every hill and overheat your disc.
    Deorsum digito caseum (I can do latin as well)
  • CitizenLee
    Floating rotors are only worth having if you can't ride properly and have to drag them down every hill and overheat your disc.

I actually hate dragging brakes, but hey, nice generalisation of everyone who owns them ;)

Your latin is slightly off, but I would have said Avids are more comparable to cheese :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Yeah my current ones are avid g2cs which work fine but they don't sell them any more. Are the g3cs any better?
  • CitizenLee
    Cqc wrote:
    Yeah my current ones are avid g2cs which work fine but they don't sell them any more. Are the g3cs any better?

Used for a tenner each...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1627649/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1627648/

Plenty of new ones on eBay too, albeit for more monies.

Dunno about G3Cs. Assume so if they replaced the G2Cs :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: