I thought the tyre wall was cut ...

paulbnix
paulbnix Posts: 632
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I was out with a friend the other day and he looked at my front tyre wall and reckoned it had been cut possibly by a badly adjusted brake block.
I admit it did not look good and his observation appeared correct.

I have now taken the tyre off and had a good look and it does not appear to be cut.

It is a folding Schwalbe Durano 25 and it looks like the material that forms the inner surface of the tyre continues over the beading and about 5mm up the outer wall where it is glued. It is this material that has become detached in places and is sometimes folding back under the rim.

The tyre has done about 5000 miles and is otherwise ok and I don't get puctures. There are small cuts in the tread but the walls are not cracking. I normally run at 6.25 bar and have tested it by inflating to nearly 9 bar.

I reckon it is still ok but have attached a couple of photos for your opinions.

25tvsxg.jpg
ng93c9.jpg

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Healthy mileage for a tyre. If it was me, I'd be retiring it, even though it doesn't look that badly damaged.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's fine - it's what Duranos do! The threads start coming off and wrap themselves round stays or the axle and generally look untidy but it doesn't cause any more bother than that.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    It's fine, nothing to worry about. just keep riding it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just snip off the offending threads and carry on.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I am happy that you agree with my initial assessment and will continue to use the tyre.
    Cheers