Cube Acid

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Seen these available at a good discount - any good?

Summary Spec is
Fork: Rock Shox Gold Air
Brakes: Shimano BR-M395 160mm rotor
Shimano Groupset.

tia

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I would depend upon what you define as a 'good' discount...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • slowbike
    Good discount = it falls within the budget ...

Opinion was sort on the bike - brand/frame, fork & brakes being the key parts.
    If the brand is generally well thought of then perhaps it's worth a consideration.

If it's generally overpriced then the discount may bring it down into line with others, but if the parts are thought to be cheap then perhaps it's not worth it even at any discount - hence not mentioning the discount!!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Cubes are generally reasonable value.

But without a budget or even specific fork model (Recon? Reba? etc) or groupset (XT, slx, deore, Alvio?) it's impossible to say more.

Compared to a Santa Cruz Highball (for example) it's shite. Compared to an Apollo or Argos special it would be great.

If you're more specific with budget you'll get more specific advice. But if it's the type of bike you need for the type of riding you want to do AND it fits it will probably be ok.
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    I rode a 2012/13 acid 29er for a season and it performed admirably. Rode a number of XC races on it and used for general singletrack trails riding and it didn't let me down once.

How much are you looking at buying one for? I just sold mine for £250 second hand and well used, so they depreciate fast. Was £999 new IIRC but I bought 2nd hand.
  • sorry to crash into the middle of this, but are there any better places for 2nd hand bike buying than either ebay or gumtree? had a look through the section on this site, but people really need to put the bike location in the topic so you don't have to trawl through looking for those within a reasonable distance of yourself.
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    pinkbike buysell can be sorted geographically
  • slowbike
    thanks for the replies - just a bit manic hence little response from me atm ..

budget is a bit of a piece of string - I'm after 2 bikes, one for the wife and one for me - she's driving this so hers will have to be one that she wants (the look of).
    TBH, the entry level bikes would probably suit our needs fine - but it would be nice to have some "upgrades" as we're used to >=105 groupset on roadbikes.
    I'm not adverse to getting 2nd-hand so will have a look around at pinkbike too ... thanks :)