Anything better for £225?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm venturing over from the MTB side so be gentle! :lol:

I'm looking at getting a road bike to use over the winter. Probably only doing 50ish miles a week and a bit on the turbo trainer. I don't want anything major, just something that will function.

Is there anything better around than the Carrera TDF ltd edition? I can get it for £225.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -2014-54cm

I don't want the "but for £350 you could get this......" type answers as I'm skint and only want a cheap as chips winter trainer.

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    One of the Decathlon Triban range? Not sure how cheap they start but they get well reviewed.
  • welshkev
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    One of the Decathlon Triban range? Not sure how cheap they start but they get well reviewed.

yeah I looked at those, but they seem to have put their prices up. they're over £300 now.

thanks anyway
  • I am a big fan of Decathlon/B'TWIN....

Small price drop on the T300 - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-300-r ... 39800.html
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    second hand triban 3 (red one) would probably come in at that budget it has carbon forks and better groupset than the TDF
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    At that kind of money I will be looking at second hand.

You wouldn't ride a £225 hardtail would you? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • welshkev
    gabriel959 wrote:

yep, but not as my first bike :wink::lol:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Yes, find something second hand. I got someone a PlanetX Pro Carbon with Sram Rival for £250. Not the best carbon bike by a long shot but a completely different league to the Carrera TDF. You might not get a deal as good as that but once you hunt around if you can budget £350 you'd get something pretty good.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    welshkev wrote:

I don't want the "but for £350 you could get this......" type answers as I'm skint and only want a cheap as chips winter trainer.

On this basis and not having the patience to wait and look for a 2nd hand opportunity then the TDF is it. I wouldn't......, I'd save for the Triban...... or even longer for something else. Put slicks on your hard tail (£40) and use that on the turbo until you have cash.
  • welshkev
    Navrig2 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

On this basis and not having the patience to wait and look for a 2nd hand opportunity then the TDF is it. I wouldn't......, I'd save for the Triban...... or even longer for something else. Put slicks on your hard tail (£40) and use that on the turbo until you have cash.

where did I say I didn't have the patience to look for a 2nd hand opportunity?

and I don't own a hardtail
  • gabriel959
    welshkev wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

I know what you mean but seriously if you buy the Carrera you will probably have to change the tyres straight away as they are really poor, the rest is probably ok, although my guess is that you will need a new saddle too.

I would scour eBay, Gumtree and cycling forums for a bargain personally or up the budget a bit, personally :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • welshkev
    gabriel959 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

I know what you mean but seriously if you buy the Carrera you will probably have to change the tyres straight away as they are really poor, the rest is probably ok, although my guess is that you will need a new saddle too.

I would scour eBay, Gumtree and cycling forums for a bargain personally or up the budget a bit, personally :)

cheers for the responses guys. I've seen a few on ebay and the link to the btwin looks good. I may chuck in the extra £50 as like you say, it's a much better spec and will benefit me in the long run.
  • gabriel959
    good one, let us know what you get and how you get on. Good thing with road bikes is that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent ride, even with the continued rise of the MAMIL priced bikes and components :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    welshkev wrote:

Is there anything better around than the Carrera TDF ltd edition? I can get it for £225.

You can tell this isn't Crudcatcher Kev, no one mentioned blow and hookers yet :roll:

Seriously though the Carrera isn't too shabby although it seems to be £250 now so for another £25 the Triban is another safe bet.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • welshkev
    arran77 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

You can tell this isn't Crudcatcher Kev, no one mentioned blow and hookers yet :roll:

Seriously though the Carrera isn't too shabby although it seems to be £250 now so for another £25 the Triban is another safe bet.

I know! but I doubt I could get much of either for £225.

the Carrera was £225 with a discount code. but I agree that the triban is the better option unless I can find something 2nd hand :D
  • welshkev
    I've found a Triban3 from a guy who lives near me. only used for 1 ride!

I'm hoping it'll be OK, I'm going on the weekend to take a look. Do you thing a 57cm frame will be too big for me at 5'9" though?

I know that trying it for comfort etc is best, I just wondered if anyone has any experience for a rough gauge. cheers
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yeah I fear 57cm will be too big for you at 5'9", shame cos it sounds good for you and your budget.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Inside Leg measurement is a more accurate gauge of a frame's suitability - but I would think a 57cm frame MIGHT be too big for someone 5'9".

I am 5'8" and ride a Scott CR1 in a size 52cm - and I don't think I would go any higher than 52, in fact I'm thinking of going smaller for my next bike.
  • welshkev
    arse! that's what I thought.

I guess i'll go and take a look and see before writing it off.
  • gabriel959
    have you seen this?

more wonga but looks like a cracking bike for the money

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281903/pr ... 8436334317
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • jakesurf
    jakesurf Posts: 31
    I've had a Carrera TDF since 2013, rode about 6000 miles on it so far and haven't had to change a single thing on it yet including tyres. It weighs a bit but that has the advantage that when I get back on my hardtail, it doesn't make my hardtail feel heavy.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong and saves messing about viewing secondhand bikes and waiting for one to come along.
  • welshkev
    cheers for the replies guys.

I got the Triban 3 from the guy local to me. It still has the tags on it!! got it for £200.

just waiting for my pedals to turn up and I'm good to go.
  • gabriel959
    Nice one mate, sounds like you got an absolute bargain!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • welshkev
    should have added a pic

10637628_689512194461231_448799559_n.jpg?oh=155b160efce8520801b8090adc5c64c8&oe=53FE2F39&__gda__=1409171684_dc13eecc100a56da13f99c7a0409dc8c

that front light will be going don't worry :lol: