CANCELLED - Nocturne Racing at Stourport Circuit - 20th Sept

BigDarbs
BigDarbs Posts: 132
edited September 2014 in Amateur race
The established cycle racing circuit at Stourport Sports Club in Worcestershire now has permanent floodlights installed, which completes this project by British Cycling, Stourport Sports Club and Wyre Forest Cycle Racing Club, supported by Biffa, Wyre Forest District Council and Sports England.

To launch the new lighting Wyre Forest CRC are organsing an evening of men’s and women’s racing on Saturday 20th September 2014. The races will include a 3/4 cat women’s race at 19:00, a 4th cat men’s at 20:15 and 3/4 cat men’s race at 21:15. The bar/café adjacent to the circuit in the sports club will be open for friends and family who may want to come along. There will be an official ‘switch-on’ opening ceremony at 20:00.

This will definitely be a opportunity to try something slightly different, such as racing under floodlights, as well as the chance to grab a few late season points!

Entries are online through the British Cycling race calendar.

Read more: http://wfcrcforum.boards.net/thread/381 ... z3AvWT8kt0

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    No E/1/2??
  • BigDarbs
    Not on this occasion but we (Wyre Forest Cycle Racing Club) are planning to run more events on the circuit in the future, which will have a greater range of categories.

In the past the E/1/2 races have been poorly attended at Stourport, with 2nd cat riders getting more points in those races than 2/3/4 events just by ambling around and finishing, even though they were a considerable distance behind the leaders.

If we run E/1/2 events it will be part of a series so that riders can plan well in advance to be there.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    BigDarbs wrote:
    Not on this occasion but we (Wyre Forest Cycle Racing Club) are planning to run more events on the circuit in the future, which will have a greater range of categories.

In the past the E/1/2 races have been poorly attended at Stourport, with 2nd cat riders getting more points in those races than 2/3/4 events just by ambling around and finishing, even though they were a considerable distance behind the leaders.

If we run E/1/2 events it will be part of a series so that riders can plan well in advance to be there.

Hey thanks. A suggestion would be to run a 4ths and a 2/3 event in the future. I think 2/3 crit races are pretty good and you'll get a decent turn out while allowing the 4ths to race on a more even keel.

Good luck with the event and thanks for hosting :).
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    I agree. Running a 2/3 and 4 only race is a good format to run. Attendance is usually pretty solid and gives everyone a fair chance. IMO, if you want to do E/1/2 race you should be focusing on Nat As and Nat Bs.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I thought there was a Nocturne race last year that got cancelled?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • BigDarbs
    Yes, that is correct. The nocturne was planned, then there was an issue with the initial lighting installation that required the manufacturers involvement, so the launch event was postponed, hence the September 20th event.

There are more floodlit events planned including regular evening coach led training sessions for senior and junior riders over this autumn and winter.

I'll keep everyone updated on those plans through the forum.
  • tempted by this as I've been thinking of having a go for a while. Not sure I can do that date though , will there be other evening races coming up soon? Also is it possible to race on a temporary licence as I don't have one?
  • It is with great frustration that we have been forced to cancel the Stourport Nocturne Floodlit Racing event at Stourport circuit on Saturday 20th September.

This is completely out of the control of Wyre Forest CRC and Stourport Sports Club. The cancelation relates to the lighting levels, insurance and British Cycling permits for floodlit race events on the newly illuminated circuit.

Clearly we will orgainse more racing for men, women and youth riders in the near future, but this particular event won't go ahead as we had planned.