MTB for my 11 year old any suggestions???

Birchyboy1234
Birchyboy1234 Posts: 21
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I am in the market for a MTB for my 11 year old son, I have £300 or so to spend. I am after a 16" frame as he has been measured up at the MTB centre at the forest of dean when we hired a Cube one!
Any suggestions? I was thinking Halfords for a Carrera or it there a better buy out there for that sort of money!

Thank You

Steve

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One 16" frame is not the same fit as another, to get the same length (actually the important measurement) he made need a 13" in another brand.

He must be pretty tall at 11 to need a 16" (like 5'8" min), if he's not that tall it's going to be too big.

Personally I'd go used at that age, they can grow out of a bike in 9 months if you are unlucky!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers for the reply.
    He's 5ft 3" but he fitted the cube that we hired no problem and we tried a few. There seemed to be a bit of growing room in the 16" because we had the seat down. I get the thing about the different makes/sizes differ. I guess i will have to get measured up depending on the make. He also fitted the 14" no problem but the seat was a bit higher!
    It's for his B'Day so didn't want to go second hand but maybe i will.

Cheers for the reply!
    Steve
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm 5'9.5" and ride a 16", my ETT is about the same as a Cube Analog although I do have a setback seatpost that will add about 20mm, it still seems very big for someone 5'3"!

The Boardman linked to is pretty poor value to be honest.

What budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • About £300
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'm 5'6 and ride a 16" and its fine so for me - would probably be OK for 5'3 too.

But a long top tube bike will make reach tricky and weight distribution all of which makes biking harder - stand over and all that kind of bs is probably what a hire place looked at and does not equate to a good fit.

I'd look second hand if I were you - more likely to get good value, lighter bike. Be prepared to shop around. Classifieds here, pink bike etc are you friends.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thanks for the reply!
  • Diddly
    Diddly Posts: 35
    Get yourself a new bike and give him your old one. That's what I did with my 12yr old son. He's riding my old spesh fine. I'm 5'7" and he's about 5'1". The spesh has a really low standover height which was handy. plenty of growing room too.
    Santa Cruz Solo Alloy 2014.
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010.

You don't know Diddly!