Bike order - Advice needed

corriebee1
corriebee1 Posts: 390
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
The saga of my good ladies bike continues.

Ordered online the Bianchi Dama Bianca and it's the last one they have. Got an email today saying they're assembling it, and have noticed some quite bad fading on the forks. From the photo, the front fork appears to be yellowing slightly and quite different to the rest of the (white) frame.

I've asked them what discount they might be able to offer, and they're going to come back to me and let me know.

1) Anyone have any experience of white framework/forks fading/discolouring like that?
2) What sort of a discount on a bike RRP at £800 (but which I'm buying for 550) would you be looking for?

10443262_10152659009333899_4023216629715561309_o.jpg

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well it's an aluminium frame and a carbon-bladed fork. Similar bikes I've seen have done pretty much this too.

I wouldn't give too much of a hoot personally, as I don't think it's that noticeable once the thing's built.

Make sure they put cable-rub copter tape patches on the frame though, eh?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    That could just be a light issue.

I'd be waiting until i get my hands on it before asking for money off, i doubt they are going to knowck 10% of an already reduced frame.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • corriebee1
    Thanks gents. I'll wait to see what they come back with. The lady i'm dealing with seems very reasonable and to their credit, at least they contacted me about it before shipping the bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'White' carbon forks rarely look as white as normal paint in my experience, I'd rather have the Carbon that glossy white on ally!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I have similar slight colour mismatch on a celeste Via Nirone. It doesn't bother me, so I've never given it a second thought, but I can see how it would be more striking on a white bike. I suspect it's a common issue on these alu/carbon Bianchis, so you may have a case.
  • corriebee1
    Hmmm.

Been offered £30 off, but the very nice lady at Winstanley says it "does look quite different. It's very noticeable".

Hoping to pop in and have a look at it in the workshop tomorrow as we're driving up to Scotland anyway.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I think that if you decide it's something you (she) can live with, £30 seems more than reasonable for a cosmetic blemish.

If it's not something you can live with, I reckon you need to hold out for a replacement bike - it doesn't seem to be a common complaint judging by a quick poke around on Google.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • corriebee1
    Well folks

Thank you very much for all your input. Eventually we bought the Bianchi for £500. A great discount on a good quality aluminium frame with carbon forks and a mostly Sora setup. The forks didn't look as bad as I was expecting and Winstanley's bike s were very accommodating about the whole thing. Kudos to them for pointing out the flaw and being flexible on the price.

The wife is delighted with her new bike, which feels about 1/4 the weight of her old one! We had a little pootle about in the highlands on Sat morning testing out her new gears.
    10612603_10152674538973899_8017934910844158670_n.jpg?oh=eda66308daef9868ca965712a46f0811&oe=5478AC26&__gda__=1416798072_79bedb9ecc1bfea6eb3d10af0517f8fa
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Nice one, looks like a great bike for the price.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I'd have wanted a discount too - half of the spokes are missing. :wink:

Seriously though, looks like a good bike and great deal.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Cracking bikes _ I have the Boys version, you won't notcie the "white"forks after a while.

Now get some celeste bar tape and a celeste saddle on it sharpish as its looking too white.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem