Status 1 as an Enduro?

slnmtb
slnmtb Posts: 5
edited October 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Dear all.

First of al i wil say that i am a happy new member of bikeradar.

So now to my question
I own a Specialized Status 1 from 2012 that i bought from new. It's an awesome bike, and i've been to a couple downhill tracks etc but it just doesnt do it for me. I have a too little people to do the sport with and they're v ery inconsistent.

So i was thinking; we have a local XC/Enduro club in my city, but i'm afraid my bike does'nt exactly fit in there. My question is, can i use it as an enduro bike?

The reason i posted in the Tech category was because i thought i might need some new parts. I was thinking a lockable rear shock or something. My fork is a X-fusion 170mm w. 36mm stanchions. It's basically just like a Fox 36.
I thought my fork would be useable for enduro but my doubts are on the rear shock and the geometry.

I hope you guys can help
Thanks in advance!

-Sebastian

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Its going to be horrible to pedal.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    nope. I rode my big hit (which is basically an older status) 20km at Bike Park Wales the other week it sucked!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Cut your losses and sell up mate.

Get yourself something more trail worthy. I had to do the same thing with my DH bike and to be fair I don't miss it at all. There's very little in this country that can't be ridden on a 150mm trail bike and requires a DH rig.

Look at a Nukeproof Mega for example, very capable DH bike that you can ride for miles too!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sell it and get a more suitable bike. The Status is a brilliant bike but only for freeride or downhill. For anything else it sucks.
    Fortunately they are a really popular bike with second hand buyers so it will sell easily and you shouldn't loose too much.
  • slnmtb
    First of all i really appreciate the replies guys! what a lovely tone and some serious responses. Thanks alot!

I know that the pedalling will be less than optimal. But what if i threw on a lockable rear shock? i could afford one if it's a good buy.

Also: Will i retain my 200mm travel if i buy a shock with the same length and stroke length? (Possibly a stupid question but please bear with me.)

-If the solution is changing bikes, how much do you guys think i could get for it? it's mint and almost new. And i also updated it with some green grips, cool mudguards and fenders... See picture.01992726b9
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No, yes, and it's against the rules.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • slnmtb
    Yeah thanks that didnt really help :( ... Against the rules? :?: and which questions are you answering?
    I talked to a guy from the club. He said my bike was awesome and easily applicable to the tracks they ride. But maybe he knows jack shite...

I ask you guys if i would retain my rear travel(200mm) if i change to a lockable shock in the same size and stroke length.
    I ask you whether it would help me pedal (and pehaps using it for Enduro)
    And lastly what it would be worth if i was to sell.

Thanks in advance guys!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I was answering your questions in the order you asked them.
    You don't get 'lockable' shocks. You do get Propedal and similar which effectively stiffens the shock, but will still not change it to a different bike.
    If you replace with the same size shock, travel will be the same.
    Asking for valuations is against the rules. (See link top of every thread)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    A DH/FR style bike will probably make for an awesome enduro bike for the downhills but any ups on track and the transitions will be hard labour or impossible to ride.

An air shock with compression damping on will help stop the wallow, but you'd probably want to do the same with the front fork. The geometry is not ideal for pedalling - stick a seatpost on that's long enough for pedalling and I figure you would find yourself in a less than ideal pedalling position.

As an additional point the bike is probably a little heavy so you'd maybe want to change the wheels and tyres - all in the cost of the changes put you in the realms of a replacement bike. Sell it and get an Enduro.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    just out of interest why have you put a rear mudguard on a DH bike?

did you buy the bike on impulse before you really thought about what bike you needed? do you ride DH already?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The frame is designed to run a coil shock, finding an air shock with pro pedal (or similar) and the right compression tune and the right stroke and eye to eye length might not be possible. Shocks that length don't usually have pedal platforms.
    The geometry is a bit rubbish for climbing as well, the head angle is too slack and the seat tube is very slack as well.
    Unfortunately although downhill bikes are brilliant for bashing down hill at high speed and sending huge jumps and drops they are just rubbish at anything else. I wouldn't be without a downhill bike now though, it's so much fun to ride.
    Look in the Pinkbike classifieds for an idea of price.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You could always just do the unthinkable and go on a ride with them and see how it goes. I agree it'll quite often be a pain, but we used to have a couple of guys who just rode what they had, a Giant Glory and a Scott Gambler, and they did alright. In the end they bought suitable bikes for their needs, but still got to cycle in the meantime.
  • slnmtb
    Ok thanks guys, i get the point. I've decided to just try and ride with them and do the "unthinkable" as one of you intelligently stated. I'll just give my rear spring some extra turns to put some more force on it. I think it will help the pedalling.
    welshkev wrote:
    just out of interest why have you put a rear mudguard on a DH bike?

did you buy the bike on impulse before you really thought about what bike you needed? do you ride DH already?

I put a mudguard on to guard for mud lolz... No really its nice to have. I also have a neoprene guard and a mudflap in the front. I like it.

Yes i bought the bike for downhill and have been riding downhill for a year on some local tracks. But the guys i was riding with sorta dropped out and sold their bikes. And since theres no DH community near my hometown i decided Enduro was the next best thing. I looked up enduro bikes on google and thought they looked similar to mine. Similar forks and so on. But the geometry i did not think about.
  • It will be fine, and you'll get fitter in the process!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Don't wind the coil too much. It will get coil bound before using all the travel if you're not careful.
  • welshkev
    slnmtb wrote:
    I put a mudguard on to guard for mud lolz... No really its nice to have. I also have a neoprene guard and a mudflap in the front. I like it.

Yes i bought the bike for downhill and have been riding downhill for a year on some local tracks. But the guys i was riding with sorta dropped out and sold their bikes. And since theres no DH community near my hometown i decided Enduro was the next best thing. I looked up enduro bikes on google and thought they looked similar to mine. Similar forks and so on. But the geometry i did not think about.

obviously...the front I can understand, the rear and the bike pouch/bag thing I can't
    It will be fine, and you'll get fitter in the process!

you're just weird :wink::lol:
  • whitey161
    whitey161 Posts: 110
    Ive got a status 2. Even the sight fo an uphill or flat section fills me with dread. this thing is onlly at home on steep and rough terrain, i couldnt imagine having to pedal an enduro course on it!!

Best off selling up and getting something else mate tbh. Even with an air shock etc you're not gonna make enough difference.
    Gravity-Fed Media - A page to showcase my MTB and Snowboard Edits

http://www.facebook.com/GFM2005