VW T5 Bike Carrier - Real world experience?

nicrg
nicrg Posts: 17
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Really pleased to have just got a new (to us) VW T5 campervan. Yay!

It's a SWB tailgate model and will be used for camping trips and holidays as well as for biking. So now just need to get a rear-mounted bike carrier for it and we'll be ready for some biking trips. (Will not have space to carry bikes in the van)

I am after some feedback from other van owners on what bike carrier they have and any pros or cons of their model.

In particular, we are interested in the genuine VW one - yes I know it's stupidly expensive, but we want to leave whatever rack we get on the van as a permanent fixture and we are willing to spend the extra for it to look good as well as function well.

I've had a look at one and have concerns that the jaws on the clamps that hold each bike are quite small ( much smaller that Thule ones for example) . Does anyone use one regularly? Do the clamps work ok will different tube shapes ie oversized or flattened tubes for example? Has anyone had any issues with them. Just worried that they may not grip sufficiently to secure bikes without any risk of slipping etc.

Have looked at the Atera Linea one as well which seems to have slightly bigger/longer jaws on the clamps.

Anyone know how the two compare in real world use. How securely are bikes held and how easy is it to mount three bikes together (allowing for different frame designs and shock placement etc on full sus bikes)?

Had a search on previous threads about both models. Haven't found any posts with any concerns about the VW one's clamps but just wanted to check on what users have found.

Would be really grateful for some feedback.

Do both racks work equally well? Other than the price and aesthetics, any real difference in practice?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You might have to upgrade the struts.

Can't see the point in tailgate mounted ones.

Tow bar mounted for my T4.

But for the response you want ask on here http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=147
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicrg
    nicrg Posts: 17
    Thanks Nicklouse.

Yes had thought we may need to to upgrade the struts. Good reminder.

Tow bar racks do seem good, but unfortunately we just don't have the storage space for one when not in use.

Have actually just joined the VW forum, so will ask there as well. I just wanted to get the perspective of the more serious bikers who may frequent here rather than the possibly more 'leisure' cyclists who I guessed might tend to be on the VW forum.