Tubeless - UST wheel with regular tyre

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Converted my CX bike yesterday to tubeless. Using 29" Shimano UST wheels and 35mm sammy slick tyres.
It looked good today so I took it for a test in Epping forest.
Once there I let the pressure down significantly, but after a while found that air/liquid was leaking from between the wheel and rim. I managed to fix this by increasing the pressure again.
So, will this fix itself longer term, or is it likely I just can't run low pressures with this set up?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    did it properly seat against the rim? sounds like its not getting fixed on the rim properly and then when the pressures down too low its coming away. how low did you go?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I went really low, I don't know the psi reading, but I was down to squiggly tyre pressure :)

Think I might need to start again after giving everything a good clean. Lots of the latex appears congealed on the inside of the tyre (I unseated to add more fluid), prehaps related to my use of CO2 to inflate.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As you have no idea what pressure you had, you can assume it was too low, whatever it was.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I went really low, I don't know the psi reading, but I was down to squiggly tyre pressure :)

Think I might need to start again after giving everything a good clean. Lots of the latex appears congealed on the inside of the tyre (I unseated to add more fluid), prehaps related to my use of CO2 to inflate.

sounds like the tyre is not seating correctly and yes CO2 will cause issues with the sealant. make yourself a ghetto inflator and set it up with that.