Electric LED Turn Signal Questionnaire for Beginner Cyclist

Mr Quick
Mr Quick Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
(I posted this on the Roads subforum, but was told I would get a better response here)

Hi Everyone

I'm currently doing a dissertation on Cycling Accidents and the Concept of LED turn signals could play a role towards lessening accidents by providing both more control and more exposure.
Just some small insight, their hasn't been any research directly stating that performing hand signals is a major factor (or factor at all) in cycling accidents, however I wouldn't rule it out. During my research, a very good source was the ROSPA Factsheet which I will link below:

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/ ... tsheet.pdf

Things such as ‘poor turn/manoeuvre’ is what I wanted to focus on with LED turn Signals. It could be argued that cyclists who aren't comfortable using hand signals while on the move, LED turn Signals can provide the option to still alert others and be in full control. I guess to more experienced cyclists this might seem rather excessive, since they are used to hand signals and it's not the only reason for poor turns and such.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid= ... aux3523988

It should only take 5 minutes to complete.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Your links are broken.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    The idea is broken, it's a bicycle, use your arm.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    What about brake lights? Oh, and maybe a horn?
    No other road users are expecting to see them; their effects on reducing incidents on a trial will be almost immeasurable and I'd wager below statistical significance.

Sadly, there's probably someone posting a similar survey on a horse riders' website.
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Your links are broken.

Silly me, they should be fixed now, and thanks.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I too am writing a dissertation on cycling so I will gladly help with the research!

Mine is based on the connection between policy for cycling and its implementation .
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Assumption that turn signals mounted on a narrow bike will be clear.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Asprilla wrote:

You need something about 2 or 3 feet long that'll move out when it's needed, probably something you'll have a fair bit of control over...

Wait, hang on...
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Marcus_C wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You need something about 2 or 3 feet long that'll move out when it's needed, probably something you'll have a fair bit of control over...

Wait, hang on...

Gloves with indicators on the back, with gravity-switched LEDs that come on when the indicator/hand is in a turn signal orientation.

Downside is that they'd be triggered when on the hoods. So maybe some sort of proximity detector that detects the hand's distance from a bar-mounted transmitter.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    LED turn signals already exist, sold under the name Bicygnals amongst others. Respectfully, they're bloody awful in concept and worse in execution. Also, a menace at night, when many cyclists, commuters in particular, will run at least one flashing red light. The limited space available on a sensibly sized bike light means the turn signal fades to near invisible next to a decent rear light, rendering the whole idea pointless at the time one would assume it's needed most.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Further to add:

If such a thing is adopted on any scale by any number of cyclists, it'll eventually end up like hi-vis in the "safety treadmill", another excuse for SMIDSY'ing perfectly legal cyclists.