New frameset, bottom bracket & campag chainsets

DeVlaeminck
DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,036
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of getting a new frameset and transferring the Chorus ultrashift 11 over but getting a compact chainset.

Thing is I'm a bit nervous having read a lot about creaking from campag chainsets and new bottom bracket standards.

Is there a best combination I should be looking for here - is a PF30 better than a BB30 (are they even different ?)

Are campag producing new chainsets that are meant to be directly compatible with the new BB standards without a converter type thing and is that going to be the best option - I'm not dead set on the chainset being campag so long as it works OK with the chorus groupset.

Anyone help ?
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    PF30 is a more tolerant standard than BB30, so in that sense it's sort of better. I think the issue you're alluding to is the one with Campag PF30 adapter cups. It's possible they've updated them since then, worth looking into.

Campag do now also do their 'Over-Torque' cranks which are designed for PF30/BB30, but they are relatively expensive and need proprietary tools to work on.

Another option is to retain your threaded Campag cups, and get a PF30/BB30 to BSA adapter, of which there are a number.

In all cases, some reading up on best practices is wise. Some setups will benefit from the use of loctite etc.
  • I’ve been running Ultra Torque for years and have NEVER had an issue with a BB/chainset. That’s using standard BB cups, a Wilier Cento Uno where you press the bearings directly into the BB and the BB86 adapter for a Scott Foil. I’ve only ever had an issue with Power Torque where it suffered from a sporadic click (now sorted).
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I actually ran BB86 Campag cups for quite a while too, come to think of it. They were mostly trouble free, IIRC.

The PF30 cups are a slightly different beast though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Never had a problem with Ultratorque - been running one for about 8 years and only had to replace one bearing.

Another alternative if looking at frames with BB30/PF30 :
    https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've got press-fit cups for my Athena cranks on a BB30 frame. No creaking yet - but it's got a lot to do with the quality and tolerances of the BB and the facing.

As you've got Ultratorque, then this is new option - and if it's anything like the Shimano version, it's fit and forget:

https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

Of course, there's the Campag Over Torque chainsets - the reviews are great, but they're not cheap.

(whoops - just seen I've been beaten to it)
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    I have Campag on my carbon bike and it was originally BB30 BB. I had a few problems with the drive-side cup coming out a little, so Condor put a bonded unit in which means I now have threaded outboard cups which are great. No other issues at all.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,036
    Thanks - yes Over Torque was what I was trying to think of - I had Over Shift in my head which didn't sound quite right !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]