Upgrading to 11-speed... rear wheel issues

kayodot
kayodot Posts: 143
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Technical newbie, so will need everyone's advice on this.

I recently bought an Genesis Equilibrium 20, which is kitted out with Shimano 105 5700.

I have also recently acquired a Shimano 105 5800 11-speed groupset and matching 5800 rear hub. I dropped these off at my LBS to install on the Genesis.

This has been done, albeit with a slight issue. The spoke angles on the drive side have had to be very 'vertical', apparently because the Alex rim the Genesis came with is not compatible with 11 speed. I have been advised this is okay to ride on, but due to the increased spoke tension, broken spokes are more likely.

Can anyone recommend some new rims (c. £100-150/pair) that would be compatible with the hub and not cause this problem? I have been told by the LBS I need an 'off centre rim', but I am unsure a) where I can buy these b) why I am having this issue, as a quick Google doesn't show much.

I would appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    High spoke tensions doesn't cause spoke failure, it causes nipple or rim failure. And an offset rim will give a better tension balance, but it shouldn't really be necessary. If you do want one, DT Swiss do one, Velocity A23 are cheaper, and there are others.

Your description is slightly confusing. Are you saying you had the existing rim rebuilt onto your 5800 hub? Presumably it's 32h? It should be perfectly possible to create a decent wheel with that combo.
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    Thanks for that.

Yes the existing rim has been rebuilt onto the 5800 hub. I have been advised by the LBS that it is fine, but that the spoke angles on the drive side and non-drive side are irregular (looking down the wheel, the spokes on the drive side are almost 'vertical'). It's 32h.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    That sounds like rubbish. Which makes me wonder if they know what they're doing when it comes to building a wheel.

I'd probably just see how it goes though, because at worst you will need a new rim at some point.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    kayodot wrote:

This has been done, albeit with a slight issue. The spoke angles on the drive side have had to be very 'vertical', apparently because the Alex rim the Genesis came with is not compatible with 11 speed. I have been advised this is okay to ride on, but due to the increased spoke tension, broken spokes are more likely.

Never heard of speed specific rims, sounds like a lot of bollox. And increased tension doesn't mean more breakages... your LBS is a bunch of incompetent, sorry to break the news... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023