Shimano XT Triple Chainset - conversion to single ring

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anybody give me any advice please on possibly converting a Shimano XT Chainset into a single ring with a wide/narrow chainring? Is it possible or do I need to buy new crank arms or a new chainring set up? I'm a 3 x 10 set up at the moment, but I want to put a 40 tooth T-Rex on the rear as well.

Thanks
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes it's possible.

Obviously if you want NR then you need to buy one. Might just need new bolts to attach it to the middle position on the cranks.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you just need shorter bolts - take off all rings then put the narrow wide in the middle ring position. I run an XT on mine with a 32T raceface NW ring
  • Alan P
    Excellent, thanks guys :D
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I also have an XT crankset converted from triple to single, although I use a bash on mine, single in mid position and bash in the outer, original length bolts as the bash is the same thickness at the mounting as a chainring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alan P
    Ok, makes sense. Any recommendations for the chainring? I'm looking at a Race Face wide/narrow 34 tooth....would this be a good buy or is there better?
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The chainrings are much of a muchness. I have a Raceface one on the hardtail and a Blackspire on the Bronson and the Blackspire one has threaded holes for the bolts where as the RF one needs the normal two part bolts, which I think comes down to the size of the ring (30T Blackspire)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep - 30t is a struggle in a 104 BCD.
  • poah
    RF 30t has threaded holes, 32t and above takes single ring bolts
  • kahunajb
    kahunajb Posts: 26
    The Superstar chainrings are cheaper which is what I shall be getting.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Did the same thing this year

Went from a triple to a double and bash, and then to a single with bash and now just a single!

I've fitted a 30T Raceface ring (as above, it's threaded) which I've been really happy with. I went from a 2x9 to a 1x10, so the increase in cassette teeth and small drop to a 30T ring means I've got enough to clear most of the climbs I ride... those that could do with a 40T on the rear I'll just push up and enjoy the view (there's only a handful).

Instead of fitting with new bolts, I've used these... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race ... prod117551.
    Not had the chance to try them yet, but it looks ace!
  • poah
    you shouldn't need to use those tabs with the 30t as they are threaded but it does make the spider look more tidy