Met Stradivarius and Lazer Genesis

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,891
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all,

following my failed attempt with a Kask Vertigo I was looking for alternatives.
I do very much like my current Rudy Project Windmax, but fancied a change or just another option.

The Kask helmet amnesty thing seemed like a good option, but alas not compatible with my eyewear of choice.

I remember back in the day, people used to rave, or so I thought, about the Met Stradivarius, but a quick search of the forum seemed to turn up no real reviews, or posts about it.
They make a 2013 helmet, so it's still technically current, and seems very light.

Anyway, CRC have a very good offer on at the mo, less than half price, and it's in my size AND it's in my favourite colour combo, so I've ordered one to see what it is like and how and if it fits - no risk to me as it's free returns, before people start saying you have to try them on in a shop.

So I was just a little bemused as to why it no longer seeems to be on the radar of anyone, is it a fashion thing, is it dated, or is it simply not flavour of the month at the moment?

Not that it bothers me in terms of popularity - in all honesty as long as it fits well, and does it's job, then I would prefer if it if it's not worn by the masses :-)
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I bought one online about 3 years ago (don't think it's changed much). I quite liked it but it didn't fit me. Based on the circumference of my head their largest one should have just fit me but it was too small in length. I gave it to my Dad who it did fit rather than send it back. Anyway, it's a nicely made helmet, looks pretty good and reasonable weight. Adjustability is just average.
    I ended up getting a Lazer Genesis which I would recommend trying if you don't stick with the MET Strad. Another well made, decent looking helmet, with better adjustability and teh option to clip on a vac formed cover for weather protection or aero purposes, which I really like and use a lot. The Genesis may be a little heavier I think.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I had one ages ago and loved it, before some bar steward nicked it a charity ride i was doing. Good helmets.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks gents,

will certainly give it a good go when it arrives, and the Genesis also looks very interesting, especially with the aero cover too - AND the fact it comes in black and yellow as does the Flanders aero cover :D

I read one review that complained about the strap positioning and also the ventilation - How do you find it Ai-1?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ai_1
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks gents,

will certainly give it a good go when it arrives, and the Genesis also looks very interesting, especially with the aero cover too - AND the fact it comes in black and yellow as does the Flanders aero cover :D

I read one review that complained about the strap positioning and also the ventilation - How do you find it Ai-1?
    Neither the strap position nor the ventilation has ever caused me a problem. I've never been short if ventilation and I use the aero cover in winter to reduce it.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    They must have been making this exact same helmet (or using the same mould at least) for about 20 years.. I had one at some point in the 90s but was inbetween sizes. Medium too small, large (which i had) too big. If it fits you it's probably still a good helmet. Just shows, for all the marketing bs not much has changed...
  • daniel_b
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks gents,

Neither the strap position nor the ventilation has ever caused me a problem. I've never been short if ventilation and I use the aero cover in winter to reduce it.

Thanks for that - it's enough for me to order one to compare with the Strad - Koo bikes have a stonking offer on at the mo, and also free returns - so I nabbed a Medium in black and yellow and a tour of flanders cover for £76 delivered - not too shabby at all!

Will report back on my findings if anyone is interested, and probably even if they are not :D

EDIT: Topic title renamed to reflect content better.

Casco%20carretera%20Met%20stradivarius%20Negro%20Amarillo%202013%20logo.jpg
    lazer-genesis-high-vis-road-helmet-flash-yellow-2013.jpg
    70811_2.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Just to update this post - both helmets have now arrived.

The Met is a fine helmet, excellent quality, and I think I would really get on with the gel pads as opposed to normal cloth ones.
    Unfortunately the fit front to back was just a little too snug, which is unusual, as usually if they don't fit it tends to be left to right that is too tight, but hey ho.
    It does look a little bit dated and 'large' I guess, the former would not bother me, the latter would do a bit I guess.

So the Lazer - firstly the yellow colour is far nicer than the pictures wold suggest, bit difficult to expalain, but it's a really vibrant bright yellow, almost citrus, where as it looked a bit pale and insipid in the picture.
    Fit for me was good, straps pretty easy to adjust, and they did need adjusting a fair bit.

Quality of finish was reasonable, but nothing ground breaking - would say the Kask and my Rudy Project have a better level of finish, which even on them isn't amazing - bearing in mind the amount of cash being laid out I mean - ie if you bought a £150 pair of bib shorts, you would expect them to be spot on - or I would anyway.

Anyway, I digress, the finish is acceptable to me, and with the straps adjusted, the fit is nice and close, and the dial is a doddle to use - and I can feel it tightening all the way around.

I went for the Flanders aero cover, but had I realised the actual yellow was so nice I would have gone for clear - oh well - it clips on easily enough, but so far I am frightened I am going to break it everytime I remove it.
    Ai_1 - do you have any tips for removal of it safely?

Also are you aware there is a winter insulated pad set you can buy?
    31reZV8vrnL.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ai_1
    I've never had a problem removing the cover. Just lift it at the back edge and it will unclip itself.
    I wasn't aware of the winter pads but I've been fine with the cover to reduce airflow and a buff. Thanks for the heads up though.
    Glad you're satisfied with the Genesis. I know what you mean about the finish. It's less glossy than the Kasks etc but I think it's a difference in style more so than quality.