Scott Solace 30 (2014) or Trek Domane 4.3 (2015)

Rudlow
Rudlow Posts: 6
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello Everyone,

I am new to road bikes, was riding mtb for a while, but noticed most of the time I ride on paved roads, so decided to buy a road bike.
After visiting a few local bike stores and trying few different brands (didn't get to try the new Giant Defy) I bought 2 bikes (it was a tax free weekend here in Mass). The exact models weren't available at the stores, so I was assured when they arrive I will be able to test both of them and keep the one I liked more.

I already mentioned I'm new to road bikes and few laps around the store might not give me a good picture, so maybe you guys could help me a little bit. Please take in account the bikes and the prices I've gotten them for.

So here are the contenders:

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/prod ... pact-Bike/ (got it for 1700$, size XL 58)

and

http://www.landrys.com/product/trek-dom ... 1244-1.htm (got it for 2100$, size 60)

I am 6'2", 185lbs and looking for an endurance type bike for longer rides.

p.s. on a side note, did anyone try the new Defy's? 2015 carbon frames, disc brakes?

Thank You for your answers,

Mindaugas

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say ride them both and see which you prefer. The Scott looks the better value for money. FWIW I have a Scott CR1-SL which is the predecessor of the Solace, and it's a lovely ride.
  • Rudlow
    Rudlow Posts: 6
    Yep, that's what I'm gonna do. It's just very difficult to tell the difference after a few laps around the store. Scott was on clearance, last year's model. Trek is 2015, so it has the new Shimano 105 groupset. Other than that they are pretty similar.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Both bikes have really good write-ups. Buy whichever you think is the prettiest.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Hey, just want to update you guys. So I ended up with Specialized Roubaix Expert (2013).

Never seen Scott, cause REI f*cked up with the shipping, so I never got to see it. And didn't like Trek too much (I mean for 2100$ I did expect more. wheels were horrible for example).

One of the reasons I bought Specialized, my LBS had it in the store and I could just pick it up without waiting or anything. I also got it for 2400$ (old model closeout). I really like it. It has a nice frame and everything, Ultegra 6700 components with 10 speed 105 cassette an Axis 4.0 wheels (not 11 speed compatible).

Wheels are pretty bad. I'm not an expert, but even I understand that's the best thing to upgrade. Plus I will be able to swap cassette with 11 speed Ultegra 6800 one.

Now I am looking at wheelsets, but there are so many of them. Could you guys recommend anything around 500-600$? Or if there is something really really good, I might pay up to a 1000$.

Thank you I really appreciate your help.

Mindaugas