Thru Axle Conversion Kits

Deakzy
Deakzy Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello There
My wife is a Physio and looking to start providing a bike setup service at the practice where she works. In order to do this she needs to set bikes up on a stationary trainer. Road bike, no problem. MTB is the problem. Thru axles do not fit in stationary trainers, there are conversion kits available but you need 3 or 4 different types?? Is there a conversion kit out there that would be easy to use and universal over each thread type etc? She is a great physio, but not the greatest mechanic so the simpler the solution the better. :lol:
Cheers

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Not exactly the intended use, but the Feedback sports truing stand uses QR > through axle adaptors to make it work. These could do the job for you, assuming that the axle width is variable on the trainer.

Alternatively, if its only the front you need then there are a few manufacturers that do a QR that fits inside a 15mm axle housing, I have a couple spare if you want one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    PS - sorry on reading your post again you probably know about the conversion kits. You'd only need a 15mm front (maybe a 20mm too if shes working with DH riders) and a 12mm rear. Very few bikes run anything else.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not sit on my bike when bolted by the through axels to a static device unless the person doing will supply and fit any parts needed after the drop out fail at any time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown