What kind of road bike is best for beginners?

putrinaila
putrinaila Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I'm very interested in getting into road biking. I would like to purchase a basic road bike (hopefully on the cheaper end) with the option to slowly upgrade the different components if/when I become more serious in the sport. Obviously I have no idea so any help on specific brands and models will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I could use help on a good helmet too.aqCZj

Comments

• I'd be tempted to buy a second hand bike for a couple hundred quid and see if this cycling malarky is for you. If it is, you buy a new/decent bike and sell your one for a couple hundred quid - that way you're quids in.

If you want something new, i'd say aim for the bigger manufacturers like Cannondale, Specialized etc, they'll all do decent frames with entry level groupset. Buy that and after a couple thousand miles upgrade to a 105 or Ulterga and even a decent set of wheels and it'll be like riding a new bike.

The trouble with asking for suggestions, you ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers. Even bike shops can be hit or miss, I mean my local bike shop, regardless of what you want, will try and sell you a Merida, as he thinks they offer the best value.

My first bike was a 2010 Specialized Allez, £300 off ebay. Turned out to be a good choice as a first bike. 8)
  • But it's a bit like saying "what's a good cheap car" - the variety of bicycles is even wider, and without any idea of budget, intended purpose (commuting, leisure rides in the dry etc), then it's impossible to say.
  • But it's a bit like saying "what's a good cheap car"

Anything except a Dacia. :lol:
  • My first bike was a 2010 Specialized Allez

as was mine and it was a decent entry bike and now serves as a commuter - but it's not really a frame that deserves much upgrading is it.
    When I discovered I had the bug I simply went for a much more expensive bike - cos there's not much point putting expensive wheels / groupset on an Allez is there?
    (I mean I might put my Aksiums on there when I upgrade wheels on my better bike, and it will ride better as a result, but I wouldn't really buy stuff to put on it.)
    I think you need to spend a bit more for a frame that is worth upgrading wheels / groupset.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I would advise you to stay relatively cheap and don't worry about upgrade potential. You may decide cycling's not for you. You may decide your frame fit isn't quite right, etc. Don't spend a fortune but get something that can either be sold on later or which can be used as a second bike (many people use a cheaper bike fitted with mudguards and lights for winter rather than use their good bike in conditions that can wear out parts quicker)
  • as was mine and it was a decent entry bike and now serves as a commuter - but it's not really a frame that deserves much upgrading is it.
    When I discovered I had the bug I simply went for a much more expensive bike - cos there's not much point putting expensive wheels / groupset on an Allez is there?.

No, I agree. My second bike was an S-Works Tarmac - The bug bit me good and hard. :lol:

My point was, obviously not very well made, I could now sell my Allez for £300 and after a years use, i've not lost any money.

• No, I agree. My second bike was an S-Works Tarmac - The bug bit me good and hard. :lol:

My point was, obviously not very well made, I could now sell my Allez for £300 and after a years use, i've not lost any money.

Yeah absolutely.
    I suppose with hindsight I would have spent more and I would now have had a nicer second bike.
    But then I didn't know I'd get into it so spending more than £550 seemed a bit of a gamble.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Most beginners don't know what they are going to use a bike for. Maybe a charity ride or sportive, maybe try racing, maybe commute, maybe a Lands End to John o Groats.

I'd suggest getting something that is flexible to be able to be used for all the above. Don't be fooled into getting a bike that won't take mudguards or a rack as it cuts your options down, especially if you want to buy a new 'best bike' and use this as your winter trainer / commuter. Do get a bike that is comfortable.

The Ribble winter trainers are pretty good, cheap, stiff enough for racing, will take guards and racks. The downside is that clearance is limited so only 23c tyres will fit, and the geometry is low at the front so may not be comfortable for beginners.

I think the Genesis Equilibriums seem a good do-all bike (especially now they have rack mounts), but are more expensive. There are other options out there I'm sure. See what your local bike shops have so you can try for size.

There is a move to disc brakes but the standards are not settled yet and they have a price premium.

Go to a shop to try on helmets. They all pass the same standard so get one that fits your head the most comfortably. Make sure you try on with your sunglasses as the arms and straps can collide which can cause discomfort.
  • We always advice people to start out conservatively when buying their first bike. You should start with a second hand road-bike and work yourself up from there. Once you get used to having a road-bike, you can start to see what areas of the bike parts or cycling accessories you prefer to have in your next road-bike. Be budget-smart and you'll be happy owner of road-bike soon.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    As others have said, there's no perfect answer and it depends on your cycling strength, flexibility and style. Most change bikes or kit once they have worked out their own preferences. Biggest thing I would advise a beginner to look for is a wide gear range. Stuggling on slopes is the most dispiriting thing for most beginners.

Something like a compact front (50-34 rings) plus a 12-27 cassette will cope with most stuff, but no shame in a larger big ring on the cassette (28 or 30) and it may be reassuring. A cassette with a narrower range (eg 12-25) might be more of a struggle on steeper stuff but fine in less hilly areas. You won't need an 11 cog, but many cassettes will have this. If you get something with a 'standard' chainset (52-39 or thereabouts, now less common at entry level) you will probably struggle with hills.

Shimano kit is common on decent entry level bikes (as well as top end) and their lower groupsets work well. Not everyone likes the older (pre 2013) Shimano Sora shifters. Campag and SRAM is good too but less common in this range.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Budget would be handy to know however most entry level bikes from a decent brand are going to be pretty similar in terms of groupset and as you are new you wont really be able to tell the difference in geometry etc....

So a good piece of advice - buy something you like the look of. It will make you want to ride
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    I can’t give any advice as such but I can say what I did when I was in the same situation as you, when it came to buying that is.

I was (well still am) a MTB’kr at heart but because I live in the very flat East Yorks, it’s more shall we say road bike territory, it’s a good hour or two drive to get to any trails centres or any places where you can really test your MTB out, unless it’s a full day outing in the car. So I wanted something to nip out on during mid week (although I still use the MTB on the roads) but I felt like I needed to get some miles in as a way as keeping fit (to benefit my climbing when I’m on the MTB) and to compensate for the lack of running now….knees are hammered…oh and the horse came down with arthritis too, so he’s partly retired! Anyway back to the subject, so I thought I’d have dabble on the dark side and see what all this road bike business is about.

I have to say, I’m hooked. :D

It was a however a daunting thing, my budget was around £500, at that price I could have bought myself a ‘decent’ second hand road bike, better spec etc but at the same time you need to know what your looking for, otherwise you could potentially buy a lemon or something that had probably done too many miles and required new parts/upgrades anyway, which would of involved more spending, I wasn’t clued up enough to know what to look for, so it made more sense to me to buy new but live with the fact that I won’t get as much bike for the money.

I trotted off to errrr *coughs * Halfords (that may bring a shudder to some of you lol) but it was so easy, looked around, sat on a few, chose the one I liked and walked out with a nice Boardman Sport, good entry level bike for the price I had in mind and I have to say it was an excellent buy, really pleased with it and I'd have another tomorrow.

I will be getting a ‘better bike’ (as in something more expensive and light weight) when I can afford it in the future, didn’t see the point of spending around £800- 1000 for my first bike just in case I didn’t get into it or use it enough, plus being a newbie to RB's, a expensive fancy bit of kit would have been a waste on me.

Good luck with the biking hunting. :)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Most beginners don't know what they are going to use a bike for. Maybe a charity ride or sportive, maybe try racing, maybe commute, maybe a Lands End to John o Groats.

I'd suggest getting something that is flexible to be able to be used for all the above. Don't be fooled into getting a bike that won't take mudguards or a rack as it cuts your options down, especially if you want to buy a new 'best bike' and use this as your winter trainer / commuter. Do get a bike that is comfortable.

+1
  • For all the above reasons many people get hybrids, like the Trek FX series, when they first start out (myself included). They have the advantage of being quite versatile, reasonable on road and reasonable of off-road on the likes of railway tracks, tow paths, and can be picked up relatively cheaply.

But; their versatility is also their biggest weakness as a hybrid is slower than a road bike on road and is slower than a MTB or Cyclocross bike off road. Which is why most people who buy a hybrid buy another bike within a year or so; but if you don't know what you want, it's still a decent purchase, and you can hang onto it for trips down the shops etc.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Specialized Allez is the beginners weapon of choice!
    I jest a little but I had one myself.

Looking back the perfect beginner bike is a winter bike, something like a Ribble Audax. They are cheap, cheerful and give you all year riding with mud-guards and when you decide you are hooked you buy the summer bike.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    iPete wrote:
    Specialized Allez is the beginners weapon of choice!
    I jest a little but I had one myself.

I have an Allez, It might look the poor man's bike next to my mates Tarmac but it is what it is and I like it. I also like the look of it too which is important.

However my MTB is a real bike, named everything and some top end stuff so I'm contemplating the same on the road bike, I'm just not sure the Allez itself warrants a £3-400 upgrade.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The best bike to get would be a brand new decent spec'd proper road bike in a sale.
    Don't hedge your bets on some second hand nightmare or heavyweight low end monster!

People often say "so I can see if I like cycling" when they really just mean that they do not want to spend much money.
    The likely hood is that you will like it and so it's much better to have a decent bike from day one and probably better VFM long term anyway.

If you do not like it, just sell the bike and give yourself a pat on the back for giving it a proper go ;-)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Carbonator wrote:
    The best bike to get would be a brand new decent spec'd proper road bike in a sale.
    Don't hedge your bets on some second hand nightmare or heavyweight low end monster!

People often say "so I can see if I like cycling" when they really just mean that they do not want to spend much money.
    The likely hood is that you will like it and so it's much better to have a decent bike from day one and probably better VFM long term anyway.

If you do not like it, just sell the bike and give yourself a pat on the back for giving it a proper go ;-)

This what I did last year. Got 30% off a road bike in the sales in the local bike shop. It was my first real road bike and I wanted to make sure it was good enough to encourage me to ride and it worked. Second hand was a bit risky for me being very tall and not knowing enough about road bikes.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The best kind of road bike for a beginner is one that's on the road - just get a bike, get out and ride. I'd recommend secondhand, my old Raleigh is on its way out now but it's covered over 15,000 miles in about 7 years (it was over 10 years old when I got it): it cost me £120.
  • Anonymous
    What a crock of sh1t!
    So are the best walking boots any boots you can walk in?

If it's any bike you can ride then why not a 10k Dogma?

The whole 'beginner' thing is a joke anyway. None of us are beginners at riding a bike and what problem is a decent bike going to give over a budget one?
  • homers_double
    I'm certainly no beginer to cycling but last year I was a beginner to road riding. Granted I've actually been riding on the road for as long as I've been riding but not on a propoer road bike with proper road tyres and tight clothing.

I stripped and sold a hartail MTB that was gathering dust and used the proceeds to test the water. I didn't want to go out and spend a grand on something which would gather the same dust as the hardtail so I bought a second hand Allez and as it happens I quite like road riding, so much so that probably next year I'll buy something more upmarket.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    That's just proving my point ;-)
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Carbonator wrote:
    ...The whole 'beginner' thing is a joke anyway. None of us are beginners at riding a bike and what problem is a decent bike going to give over a budget one?
    The only problem a decent bike presents is the potential to spend an unnecessary amount of money on a poor choice. A beginner to bikes (by which I mean hasn't ridden in a long time - perhaps since they were a kid) is unlikely to notice a significant difference between a 1k bike and a 10k bike for the first couple of thousand kilometers. The bike is unlikley to be a significant limiting factor on their performance for the first year unless they are already endurance athletes in another discipline e.g.running.
    Most beginners are depending entirely on the advice of others regarding the choice of components and the fit of the bike. In my opinion a <1k bike makes a lot of sense for beginners as they will be able to get started and develop some expertise without taking any big financial risks. If they decide they won't stick with cycling or they want to move on to a "decent" bike, they're likely to find it easier to sell on a second hand <1k bike without making a significant loss.

As you get accustomed to road biking and decide what you're good at, what you like and how much it's worth to you, it becomes possible to make a much more educated decision on your second purchase. Therefore, I think it would be foolish for a beginner to splash out on a high spec, expensive first bike.

You may say a <1k first bike makes a second purchase inevitable and is therefore bad value. I disagree. You could easily splash out on the first bike and end up with an expensive bike that's just not what you really want. Much worse.
  • homers_double
    Carbonator wrote:
    That's just proving my point ;-)

I know...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    ...The whole 'beginner' thing is a joke anyway. None of us are beginners at riding a bike and what problem is a decent bike going to give over a budget one?
    The only problem a decent bike presents is the potential to spend an unnecessary amount of money on a poor choice. A beginner to bikes (by which I mean hasn't ridden in a long time - perhaps since they were a kid) is unlikely to notice a significant difference between a 1k bike and a 10k bike for the first couple of thousand kilometers. The bike is unlikley to be a significant limiting factor on their performance for the first year unless they are already endurance athletes in another discipline e.g.running.
    Most beginners are depending entirely on the advice of others regarding the choice of components and the fit of the bike. In my opinion a <1k bike makes a lot of sense for beginners as they will be able to get started and develop some expertise without taking any big financial risks. If they decide they won't stick with cycling or they want to move on to a "decent" bike, they're likely to find it easier to sell on a second hand <1k bike without making a significant loss.

As you get accustomed to road biking and decide what you're good at, what you like and how much it's worth to you, it becomes possible to make a much more educated decision on your second purchase. Therefore, I think it would be foolish for a beginner to splash out on a high spec, expensive first bike.

You may say a <1k first bike makes a second purchase inevitable and is therefore bad value. I disagree. You could easily splash out on the first bike and end up with an expensive bike that's just not what you really want. Much worse.

I was more saying a sub £500 bike was a bad move. You can pick up some decent first bikes from £750 IMO.
    Something like 105 with semi decent wheels. I was never suggesting a first bike of much over £1500.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Carbonator wrote:
    What a crock of sh1t!
    So are the best walking boots any boots you can walk in?

If it's any bike you can ride then why not a 10k Dogma?

The whole 'beginner' thing is a joke anyway. None of us are beginners at riding a bike and what problem is a decent bike going to give over a budget one?
    Classy post :roll:

I could just as easily ask "what problem is a budget bike going to give over a decent one?" The idea that somehow any bike for much less than a grand is not worthy to be seen on the road is frankly a bit of ridiculous groupthink. It's a mode of transport and exercise, not an extension of your soul, a proof of your manhood, or an announcement of your status.

My point wasn't about which bike or for how much - it was that bikes are for riding.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Surely the obvious answer is a BTwin Triban. Presumably still available for less than £500, well reviewed, well liked, high resale value.

Second hand is OK but you need a bit more knowledge and you need to accept you may lose a good chunk of the savings you've made by buying second hand if a component fails.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I'd agree on the BTwin bikes. Just saw the 500 from another post and it fits the ideas from my earlier post. Wide gear range, mudguard eyelets (not sure about rack mounts on the seatstays), shimano sora groupset, wheels with normal spokes. If they are comfortable fit for you then they are a great price (£429 for the 500). Seem to get good reviews too.
  • Anonymous
    bompington wrote:

I could just as easily ask "what problem is a budget bike going to give over a decent one?" The idea that somehow any bike for much less than a grand is not worthy to be seen on the road is frankly a bit of ridiculous groupthink. It's a mode of transport and exercise, not an extension of your soul, a proof of your manhood, or an announcement of your status.

My point wasn't about which bike or for how much - it was that bikes are for riding.

Depends how budget it is, but super heavy, non duel calliper brakes, 7 speed cassette etc. etc. would seem problems to me.
    Not sure I said or suggested any of the other stuff you spouted in your post. Seems to me that you have issues.

The OP was asking for advice, not a philosophy lol.