Bottom Bracket for Heavy Rider

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I seem to be going through Deore BB's (Hollowtech II) at a silly rate of knots, which has been suggested that it is due to me being on the heavier side. Its been recommended to me to go with a better quality of BB that will last. The suggestions were XTR and Saint BB's. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these and can suggest which to go with

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What is a silly rate of knots?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    3 to 6 months depending on usage and weather/time of year
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The SLX/XT BB is better sealed than the Deore and not much more, I suspect it is more crud than your power awesome affecting the bearings, that or they aren't running true if your BBshell isn't faced.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    I would get the Bb shell faced and still use the Deore ones.

Incorrect frame perpetration is the biggest killer of bearings.

If after having if faced you do not see an increase in bearing life then I would look at the Enduro (RWC) BBs. But it is pointless putting a better BB into a un prepped shell.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to get through them quickly. Getting the shell faced made a huge difference.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Go for a Hope ceramic
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I found Deore BB's awful, usually only last a couple of months before seizing. No such issues with the XTR or XT/SLX BB's. Given that you can XTR's for around £20 last time I looked there is no reason to go for a Hope unless you want the shiny colours IMHO.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Deores are terrible. Sealing on the SLX/XT one is much better. The difference for me was going from a maximum of 6 months to at least a couple of years life-span. Had the same result on both faced and non-faced BB-shells
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    i'm a heavy rider myself and have the same issues. I have had frame faced twice by two different bike shops and that's made no difference. I even splashed out on a Hope stainless bb which lasted all of 6 rides before play set in and no the bearings were not overtightened. I have the same problem on two bikes so it isn't the bikes or the cranks, it is unfortunately just down to a system that is designed for lightweight riders and good weather. Outboard bearings are inherently poor as anyone will tell you that the old square tapers used to last ages, my last one took two years to die!! But this is the price we pay for 'stiffness'. Lack of longevity just goes in the parts manufacturers favour. My suggestion to you would be to just buy a superstar bb, a box of 10 cheap bearings on ebay and just pull out the tophats and punch the bearings out of the cups when they die, tap in some new ones and put back together. Takes about 10 mins when you've done it a few times, this has saved me a fortune!!!! :D
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    konanige wrote:
    i'm a heavy rider myself and have the same issues. I have had frame faced twice by two different bike shops and that's made no difference. I even splashed out on a Hope stainless bb which lasted all of 6 rides before play set in and no the bearings were not overtightened. I have the same problem on two bikes so it isn't the bikes or the cranks, it is unfortunately just down to a system that is designed for lightweight riders and good weather. Outboard bearings are inherently poor as anyone will tell you that the old square tapers used to last ages, my last one took two years to die!! But this is the price we pay for 'stiffness'. Lack of longevity just goes in the parts manufacturers favour. My suggestion to you would be to just buy a superstar bb, a box of 10 cheap bearings on ebay and just pull out the tophats and punch the bearings out of the cups when they die, tap in some new ones and put back together. Takes about 10 mins when you've done it a few times, this has saved me a fortune!!!! :D

Out of interest how much go you weigh? I weigh anywhere between 100-110kg and never have any issues with premature wear except when they've been fitted incorrectly. My XTR BB's always last me many miles and when they do go I'm never unhappy with the time they've lasted. I'm not a fair weather either, in fact it often feels like I never ride in anything but the rain and mud. Something really doesn't sound right if decent ones are lasting you a couple of rides then being thrown out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And I'm no lightweight neither.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    As above, I'm fat and my BBs last a decent amount of time.
  • nicklouse
    konanige wrote:
    If you needed to have it done two times then the first shop did not face it or did not do it correctly. Once done it is done. So now you might have an issue with the shell being too narrow.

No I see that you have the problem on two bike. I wonder what the common connection is?

Who fits them for you?