Bash ring / chain suck

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just taken off the inner and outer chainrings (SLX) to make my bike 1x9 and at the same time fitted a bash guard in place of the outer ring. Now I can't do a single pedal revolution without the chain skipping and sucking. It never did this when the front derailleur was fitted. Could it be a spacer issue between the BB and chainrings or something else?
Thanks
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Could be many things.

What have you fitted where.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nonnac85
    Removed inner and outer chainrings keeping the original 32t middle and added the bash ring (straitline) in place of the outer using the old chain ring bolts. Just took crank arms and did the changes then replaced arms again. Derailleur also removed. Nothing else has changed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shortened the chain?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nonnac85 wrote:
    Removed inner and outer chainrings keeping the original 32t middle and added the bash ring (straitline) in place of the outer using the old chain ring bolts. Just took crank arms and did the changes then replaced arms again. Derailleur also removed. Nothing else has changed.

Shortened chain? And what size bash? Chain catching on bash?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nonnac85
    Not shortened chain yet as I figured it would have been the same length when using the middle ring previously but can give it a go. The bash is a designed for 32t as it is a 32t middle ring needing protecting. I know some people use a 34t to give extra space but it didn't seem essential.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    A bigger bash could cause such an issue so yours is fine. Shorten the chain as per the usual method on Park's or any other website.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Is the ramping on the middle ring interfering with the bash and catching the guard in some way?

Perhaps fit a non ramped chainring, single ring specific/narrow wide kinda thing?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • nonnac85
    Went to shorten the chain and noticed the bash was slightly warped. Having loosened the chainring bolts slightly the problem seems to have gone although I'm not sure about having less than tight chainring bolts.
    How much gap is normal between the edge of the chain and bash? I can get a piece of paper in the gap.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loose chainring bolts does not sound like a good idea to me - find something to space it out a bit, or get a non warped bash.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nonnac85
    I'll find a small washer type thing to add space. How much gap should there be between the edge of the chain and the bash?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    A few mm.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8