BB Shell Needs Facing?

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Just taken delivery of my new Ridley Phaeton frame and forks and started to add a few bits onto it, prior to buidling it up properly for use next March.

Fitting some Campagnolo Ultra Torque bearing cups tonight, right hand side goes in easily but the left goes half a turn then wont turn any further. Don't want to force it so I've tried cleaning the threads on cup and shell with a toothbrush and greasing everything up but still no joy apart from some chewed up paint.

So does the shell need facing, or do I need to make an expensive return back to Chain Reaction?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    Facing is cutting the end of the BB to make it normal to the axle - so no, it doesn't need facing. Does the thread need chasing - maybe.

If you have one bearing in, a good way of making sure that you are screwing the other bearing in squarely is to fit the crank, it will guide the other cup in squarely.
  • I haven't purchased the chainset yet... I have an old one lying about though so will maybe try that tomorrow.

Can somebody reassure me it's not terminal? It's the first new bike I've bought since 2007 and I'd cry if I had to send it back.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I had a new look 595 with this problem, all it took was a quick clean up of the thread by my local LBS, its highly unlikely Ridley produced a scrap frame, all this assumes you are using the right BB for your frame - English or Italian?
  • English. My current Colnago has the Italian sized BB. The cups I'm using are replacements I bought for that when I moved over to ultra torque, spent half an hour puzzling over and then realised my mistake.

LBS it is then. Given the guys reluctance to fix anything and his disdain for my Flemish, I may wait until I'm in a position to have him do the steerer and headset too.

Thanks guys

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Can somebody reassure me it's not terminal? It's the first new bike I've bought since 2007 and I'd cry if I had to send it back.

Doubt it's terminal. Also doubt that, if it was terminal, whomever you would be sending it back to wouldn't want it. It is 2014. :wink:
  • dennisn wrote:

Doubt it's terminal. Also doubt that, if it was terminal, whomever you would be sending it back to wouldn't want it. It is 2014. :wink:

Slight difficulty in that is that I'm in Belgium and bought it from the UK as it was heavily discounted. I had a problem with some wheels I bought in similar circumstances a few months back and the hassle and time taken, coupled with the postal costs made it unattractive.

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

Slight difficulty in that is that I'm in Belgium and bought it from the UK as it was heavily discounted. I had a problem with some wheels I bought in similar circumstances a few months back and the hassle and time taken, coupled with the postal costs made it unattractive.

Sorry. :oops: I read that wrong. Thought you were having a problem with a 2007 bike.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    English. My current Colnago has the Italian sized BB.

There is no difference in size between English and Italian threaded BB's (well maybe 2mm on shell width to be absolutely accurate)- but there is a difference in the direction you have to screw the cups in. But you knew that didn't you? In that the drive (chainring) side has a left-hand thread on an English BB, and a (conventional) right-hnad thread on an Italian threaded BB.
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    From what OP says, the drive side went in ok...so I guess the BB type (English) should be ok.

Do double check the threads on the cups...to make sure they are the correct thread (ie, left hand cup is right hand thread, and right cup is left hand thread..ie tightens anti-clockwise).
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    rafletcher wrote:
    There is no difference in size between English and Italian threaded BB's (well maybe 2mm on shell width to be absolutely accurate).

Er - and 1.2mm difference in diameter! But a big enough hammer should fix that, shouldn't it :roll:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Barbarossa wrote:
    rafletcher wrote:
    There is no difference in size between English and Italian threaded BB's (well maybe 2mm on shell width to be absolutely accurate).

Er - and 1.2mm difference in diameter! But a big enough hammer should fix that, shouldn't it :roll:

Well 1mm :oops: I misread the table I was looking at!