Front derailleur....again!

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie so please go easy on me.

I have just replaced the whole of my groupset from the 105 5700 to the new 105 5800, and the only thing I am having a little bit of an issue with is the front derailleur.

The new style is a little different from the old one. There is a grub screw which pushes against the frame, which I only realised about after installing it. So I had to whip it all off and start again.

The L limit screw works a treat, but the H limit screw doesn't seem to move the cage.

I have put the chain on the largest sprocket at the back, and the smallest chain ring and set the limit (with the L screw) without putting the cable onto the derailleur. Then put the cable on and moved to the smallest sprocket on the cassette, and when I try to move up to the big ring, the derailleur won't quite move enough to allow the chain up onto the big ring, but moving the H screw makes no difference. The derailleur doesn't move at all by moving the H screw!

I increased the tension on the cable and it still won't go up to the big ring, but still the H screw makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Why doesn't the H screw seem to move the cage at all? Even turning it either way, especially when the L screw does.
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• Too much cable tension can cause the problem with h screw youre describing. This is assuming the derailleur has been lined up correctly to begin with. Real tensioning should be done with the barrel adjuster.
  • thefd
    It's internal cabling and has no barrel adjuster. Other than admitting defeat and going to a bike shop I'm really struggling with this!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • You need to fit one of those inline cable adjuster http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bcb-95-in-l ... -adjuster/

Very essential for front dérailleur with internal cable. saves a lot of hassle if you're not very experienced.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I had the same issue installing mine at weekend. I loosened the cable slightly and managed to get it working, H screw wouldn't play ball if there was too much tension.
  • jonnym5
    jonnym5 Posts: 76
    The new 11 speed mechs do seem to require a load more tension than the 10 speed ones.

Have you routed the cable correctly rather than the old straight over the top way?
  • thefd
    Yes I have - I sent in through and round the screw (starting at about 7 o'clock) in an anti-clockwise direction. I have finally got it working, but not test ridden it yet. The H limit still doesn't seem to do anything!! But I let out the L screw and re-adjusted the derailleur and this allowed the clearance to reach the big ring. I test ride it and take it from there.

Thanks for your help!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Interestingly, although I've always fitted an adjuster to the front mech cable when run externally - because I needed something to screw into the stop - I never ever used it for cable adjustment. And my current (internally) cables frame has no adjuster. Front mechs really shouldn't need them (and indeed nor do rear mechs, use can use the one on the mech itself)