Annoying creak

tmg
tmg Posts: 651
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Got an annoying creak, seems to be coming from crank area, recently had the bearings replaced so sure it's not the BB, have also taken chainring bolts out and cleaned regressed and re torqued but still creaking, seems to be on the largest rings on back sprocket and small front and when I a putting effort through. Have changed pedals, shoes and it still creaks, doing my nut in now as running out of things to check. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    tmg wrote:
    Got an annoying creak, seems to be coming from crank area, recently had the bearings replaced so sure it's not the BB, have also taken chainring bolts out and cleaned regressed and re torqued but still creaking, seems to be on the largest rings on back sprocket and small front and when I a putting effort through. Have changed pedals, shoes and it still creaks, doing my nut in now as running out of things to check. Any advice appreciated
    Take the BB out, clean nearly all the grease off. Put it back.

Worked for me.
  • If its happening only when you use the big rings at the back, are you sure its not chain rubbing the derailleur?
  • tmg
    It's not rubbing anything, the bb is all sealed so can't simply remove it as that would require trip to lbs
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    tmg wrote:
    Got an annoying creak, seems to be coming from crank area, ....

Almost every"... annoying creak SEEMS to be coming from the crank area,...". This is a sort of bicycle truism. Don't get hung up on this being the only place that might creak. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Just trying to bring up a point.
    :wink:
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    cleats ( assuming you are using them ) a bit of oil helps....don't walk on white or light carpets afterwards....eeeekkk.
  • RonnieC
    RonnieC Posts: 28
    Is it happening when you are standing on the pedals, seated or both?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I had that last week - after a wet ride. Cleaned my drivetrain thoroughly but the next day the creak was driving me crazy.

BB out and a dribble of water came out - all cleaned and regreased and it's been perfect since.

Probably could have achieved the same thing by taking the seatpost out and draining it but once it starts creaking it's too late.

(also check your seatpost because creaks can travel).
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • After replacing my BB, I found that my creak was coming from one of the SPD SL Pedals.
  • tmg
    Happening both seated and out of saddle, on both rings and as stated when putting more effort in so comes on when climbing or when trying to press on on the flat.

Bit the bullet and took it back to lbs to try and sort it out. It's definitely coming from the bottom bracket area, have replaced everything over past two weeks to eliminate and the noise was still there whatever I did so gave in to protect my own sanity!!