105 5700 or 5800 brakeset?

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, I would like to complete my bike with full 105 as the only things that aren't are the brakes. Is it worth spending another £20 for the new 5800 or shall i try and get a deal and get the 5700. Are there any real differences worth spending more for?

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Have just fitted 5800 brakes this weekend, I can't compare to 5700 but they are massive upgrade from the 5600 (which are similar I think) I was previously running.
  • roubaixtom
    roubaixtom Posts: 316
    Ok, where did you get them from?
  • dinyull
    I bought the full groupset on offer @ ribble. Have a search on google shopping and it'll list all of the price so you can find the best.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    If you can stretch to the extra money, you may as well have the improved performance of the 5800 brakes.

"Compared to the previous 105 groupset (5700) Shimano made the brake system more efficient and increased brake power with 10%. This is mainly due to the new symmetrical dual-pivot brake caliper. The brakes are compatible up to 28c tires and also available in a direct mount version (BR-5810)."
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Dinyull wrote:
    Have just fitted 5800 brakes this weekend, I can't compare to 5700 but they are massive upgrade from the 5600 (which are similar I think) I was previously running.

Probably because the 5600 had worn out springs, or tired cables or they were dirty...

It might not be your case, but most people have appalling maintenance regime for their bikes and every time they buy something new it feels like a massive upgrade... the key is in the NEW word.
    As brakes go, I can see the difference between a 2014 caliper and a 1984 caliper... but it becomes really hard to see any difference with a 2004 caliper
    left the forum March 2023
  • dinyull
    Clean and cables were a few months old, not sure about the springs. The new 5800 are dual pivot though, totally different design and have made a much bigger impression on me than I was expecting.
  • dinyull
    Clean and cables were a few months old, not sure about the springs. The new 5800 are dual pivot though, totally different design and have made a much bigger impression on me than I was expecting.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dinyull wrote:

You've got more immediate power at the expense of modulation with dual pivots. Switching from single pivot to dual pivot will making braking feel different but switching between different dual pivots won't make any noticeable difference beyond placebo. Probably won't stop you much sooner either.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'd guess that there's squat between 5600 and 5800, because having used the following there's absolutely no difference between Ultegra 6600, 6700 and 6800 or Dura ace 7800 and 9000.
    They're all dual pivot and if you put some Swissstop pads in they all stop the same, plus the new calipers actually weigh more than the previous calipers.

It's all down to aesthetics.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Bozman wrote:
    I'd guess that there's squat between 5600 and 5800, because having used the following there's absolutely no difference between Ultegra 6600, 6700 and 6800 or Dura ace 7800 and 9000.
    They're all dual pivot and if you put some Swissstop pads in they all stop the same, plus the new calipers actually weigh more than the previous calipers.

It's all down to aesthetics.

I couldn't disagree more with this post. In short succession I rode bikes with new (as in not heavily used) Ultegra 6700 & 6800 brakes, and the new ones are way better. The amount of force required at the lever is significantly lower to give the same amount of stopping force. It was on the same wheels, in the same conditions for both brakes.

Now, to be fair, some of that could be the lever or it could be the pad compound, but the effort required to slow was definitely lower.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    The callipers do weigh more, yes. Ultegra is a whole 18g heavier per pair.