What derailleur goes with these shifters?

maxrodgers
maxrodgers Posts: 19
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hello,

I have an old steel 10 speed. Yesterday I respaced the rear triangle from 120mm to 126mm and I've got a 7 speed shimano freewheel on its way. I'm looking at picking up a pair of Shimano ST-A070 levers as they are 7 speed brifters. I currently have a sun tour derailleur on which I will presumably have to replace. My main question then is; is there a specific derailleur I should get to go with these levers or will any 7speed capable Shimano derailleur do?

Also I realise the front shifter is also indexed, not friction so would I definately need to replace the chain rings or might my current ones work with the new system? Under what circumstances would they work/not work?

Are there any other concerns?

Thanks

Comments

• Yeah they will work fine.
  • Thanks for the responses, that has eased my mind. So to clarify then will any crankset work with these brifters or does it need to be modern? I currently have shimano golden arrow double at the front, should this be ok? Also, my wheels are 27" rather than 700c, I can't see why it would be but is that likely to be a problem?

Thanks a lot.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The brifters, if indexed will define the amount of shift (cable release) between each shift, the derallieur unit will just move accordingly. So long as the max & min limits are set correctly, all else should work fine.
    Cycling weakly