Noob stem/headset questions

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Just took delivery of a Caad8. Seems a nice bike, but head tube is so tall that I can't get into any sort of comfortable position (I'm used to riding a Scott Foil, on which the bars are about 50mm lower).

Two really simple questions:

1. Can I replace the stem with a track stem (eg Deda Pista or Cinelli Pista)? Is there anything preventing the use of a track stem on a road bike. Are these two my best options for a cheap method of lowering the bar height, or should I look at alternatives (a flipped high-rise stem like the BBB BHS-25, perhaps)?

2. The bottom-most spacer under the stem is huge - about 20mm tall. Given that it's conical, is there a way to replace it and still provide protection to the headset. If not, do I even need to worry about protecting the headset, or can I simply do away with all spacers and seat the stem directly onto the top race (the bike is bought for the specific purpose of hammering into the ground on a 60 miles round trip daily commute)?

Thanks

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Sound like it's maybe a size too big for you, but I think the best bet might be to replace the headset with one with a much lower stack height than the (Cane Creek I think) one fitted, and so remove the conical spacer or at least replace it with one that's "flatter".
  • vermin
    Thanks, that's one option, but won't that cost £££s?

Bike is correct size, I think, but its geometry is far more upright than that to which I am accustomed. The reach is spot on, but the stack might be best described as 'sportive-inspired'!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Headset (original) is about £30. If you bought the bike from an LBS ask them about alternatives. Even if you didn't, ask them!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy a new lower headset top cap off ebay, or get one from your LBS. They are cheap. then get a 17 degree stem.
  • Can we see a pic of the stem and spacers?
  • vermin
    Since you ask ...

With original Cannondale stem:

14810831269_7eb34367d9_b.jpg

With Deda Pista (70/20 degrees) stem:

14810916678_27ea1ec32f_b.jpg

Pista stem improves matters a bit, but that enormous cone spacer/top cap below the stem must go.
    stxyd wrote:
    Buy a new lower headset top cap off ebay, or get one from your LBS.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Then I'll take a hacksaw to the steerer.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's an impressive example of cable rub on the headtube! And treat yourself to some new bar tape if you can't be arsed to clean it...
  • vermin
    keef66 wrote:
    That's an impressive example of cable rub on the headtube! And treat yourself to some new bar tape if you can't be arsed to clean it...

They're clear lizard skins, which actually look worse than cable rub, but hey.

A roll of green fizik tape is waiting in the cupboard, to be applied following the installation of 105 shifters (unless I stick with the tiagras, in which case it goes on soon).

I've just ordered a 5mm Cannondale top bearing cover, which should fix the setup.

The blinds will also soon be replaced. 8)