Dilemma - Upgrade to 105 or change wheels

ThatDude
ThatDude Posts: 5
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Relatively new to cycling and have completed my first triathlon. I aim to do a sportive in 2015 and probably a 70.3 too.

Have a 2012 Specialized Allez Elite road bike with no upgrades to date. It has a Tiagra groupset and wheels DT Axis 1.0 with Specialized Espoir Sport tyres. I want to improve feel (and performance if possible) with a budget of c.£350-400 because selling/changing bike it is not justifiable at my level yet. I will probably keep this bike for at least two more seasons.

Is it better to:
1) upgrade groupset Tiagra to 105 (can get for c.£350 new + labour) or
2) upgrade wheels and/or tyres? (recommendation appreciated, I have no idea)

Thank you

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    First upgrade the tyres and inner tubes to better ones, its cheap and tyres are disposible anyway (I use Michelin Pro4 SC and Conti supersonic tubes)

Then look to change the wheels, a decent set of hand built wheels will come in around £300. You then have a summer and winter set of wheels...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Almost everyone will disagree with me here but:

In the past 8 months I've upgraded both wheelset (Ritchey DS Pro wheels to Mavic Cosmic Ellite) and groupset (Tiagra 4500/105 5600 mix to full 105 5800) and the biggest difference for me was the groupset. The wheels did make a difference but nothing compared to the improvement in shifting smoothness and braking power.

Having said that, groupo won't improve performance whilst a good set of wheels will and Dr makes a good point of having 2 sets of wheels for summer and winter use.
  • dinyull
    I'd also say, if you do decide to go down the groupset route, instead of paying someone to fit it buy a tool kit, book and watch lots of youtube vids (lennard zinn, gcn etc) and fit it yourself. A lot simpler than most think and will help you maintain the bike in the long run.

I only upgraded the groupset this weekend, spend most of sat stripping frame, servicing the bike and fitting all new kit and the bike feels like it's just left the shop.
  • Thank you DrLodge + Dinyull, helpful comments.
  • mickcee
    mickcee Posts: 46
    I have the same bike, another couple of years for me too! Im looking at upgrading both and the silly question to a complete novice does the Shimano 105 11 speed fit this bike??

I have slightly higher budget of around £700 and am looking to improve the wheels too, i already improved the tyres and inner tubes 3 months after having the bike.

Im hopeless when it comes to the bike other then riding it (slightly less hopeless) and would need some help referance decent wheel upgrades and if Group sets are compatible on all bikes??
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    105 5800 will be fine on this bike.
  • dinyull
    mickcee wrote:
    I have the same bike, another couple of years for me too! Im looking at upgrading both and the silly question to a complete novice does the Shimano 105 11 speed fit this bike??

I have slightly higher budget of around £700 and am looking to improve the wheels too, i already improved the tyres and inner tubes 3 months after having the bike.

Im hopeless when it comes to the bike other then riding it (slightly less hopeless) and would need some help referance decent wheel upgrades and if Group sets are compatible on all bikes??

It depends on weather or not your wheels are 11 spd compatible or not. But if your upgrading those too you can but some that will take a 11 spd casette.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'd go wheels and tyres first. You'll need the relevant tools for the cassette swap.

And fit the new groupset yourself, if you get one, it's a piece of p155 with the right tools! You can get a decent toolset for around £100 (ie 2 hours labour at LBS)

It's just a hill. Get over it.