Loud free hub suddenly went quiet

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I did a 160km sportive today and half way round my Fulcrum 5's rear hub which is usually loud suddenly went silent. However it still carried on working. Why is this? They are pretty new wheels and have had a couple of issues with them

Thanks

Comments

• Id stay closer than 160km from home for a while info were you.

I had a pair of those wheels once. Worst wheels I've ever owned bar-none. Admittedly, the free hub didn't give out, but I had about three separate spoke breakages in about as many months.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Probably a pawl sticking. Fulcrum wheels are ace.
    I reckon you just got a bad set.

A noise change will be likely to a pawl, only a v minor issue
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Id stay closer than 160km from home for a while info were you.

I had a pair of those wheels once. Worst wheels I've ever owned bar-none. Admittedly, the free hub didn't give out, but I had about three separate spoke breakages in about as many months.

Lot fat maybe? :wink:

I'd have them checked out since they are near new (or take a look yourself - not difficult). It's the pawls that make the noise so pk is probably right - or could be the spring that has broken. I would want to know before going out again.

They are excellent wheels so don't give up on them!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • roubaixtom
    i took the free hub out and all of the pawls but one were stuck down. The one that was still stuck up was only slightly up and not as it should. When i took it the C clips looked broken. Im very lucky i didn't loose all drive yesterday. I am going to return back to wiggle where i got them.

Should i get an exchange or a refund of £200 and get a different set?

It would have to be from wiggle as £50 of it was vouchers.

thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    As I said a few days ago, the Fulcrum 7 and 5 are not the same they used to be a few years back... a broken spring on a new set is less than impressive... get a refund if you can
    left the forum March 2023
  • roubaixtom
    if i was to get a refund what should i get instead?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Roubaixtom wrote:

Zondas or a pair of hand built wheels assuming you can afford a little extra
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • roubaixtom
    it would have to be off of wiggle so zondas at £260 are feasible
  • rolf_f
    drlodge wrote:
    Roubaixtom wrote:

Zondas or a pair of hand built wheels assuming you can afford a little extra

I'd be surprised if the pawl spring on a Zonda is different spec to that of a Fulcrum 5. I'm generally pretty cynical but even I can't match Ugo on this one - I struggle to see that Campag have actively lowered the spec on the pawl springs.

If the OP has got as far as taking off the freehub to identify the problem, in his shoes I'd just politely insist on a replacement spring from the supplier whilst reminding them that if they don't deliver that I would reject the wheelset as not fit for purpose (given that there have been other problems with it).
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolf F wrote:
    I'd be surprised if the pawl spring on a Zonda is different spec to that of a Fulcrum 5. I'm generally pretty cynical but even I can't match Ugo on this one - I struggle to see that Campag have actively lowered the spec on the pawl springs.

I don't expect Campagnolo or Fulcrum to make 100% of their components in house, down to the springs. When you want to cut manufacturing costs, you outsource or you change supplier or you negotiate a better deal with an existing supplier... in turn the supplier will do their best to make a profit out of the reduced budget. That's how quality get down the drain, typically
  • roubaixtom
    So, stick with a new set of fulcrums or spend a bit more and go for
    Zondas?
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

I don't expect Campagnolo or Fulcrum to make 100% of their components in house, down to the springs. When you want to cut manufacturing costs, you outsource or you change supplier or you negotiate a better deal with an existing supplier... in turn the supplier will do their best to make a profit out of the reduced budget. That's how quality get down the drain, typically

You're depressing me with your unarguable logic....... :(:lol:

Still, it's no argument for any upgrade. The risk of the same problem re-occurring will be much the same whatever Fulcrum or Campag you get.
  • roubaixtom
    Should I steer away from campagnola and fulcrum?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I haven't looked into the details, but Zonda are a notch up compared to the Fulcrum 5 and surely worth the extra 70 pounds.
  • roubaixtom
    will i notice any difference between the zondas and fulcrums ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    will i notice any difference between the zondas and fulcrums ?

Hard to say, some people don't notice they forgot their helmet on the table...
  • Rolf F wrote:

I'd have them checked out since they are near new (or take a look yourself - not difficult). It's the pawls that make the noise so pk is probably right - or could be the spring that has broken. I would want to know before going out again.

How rude. I was only about 78kg!

They were fairly new- not long been out tbh. I got a full refund anyways.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

How rude. I was only about 78kg!

They were fairly new- not long been out tbh. I got a full refund anyways.

Well in that case, don't skimp on the pies and cakes; you've earned them!

At least with the Fulcrums you have sensible spoke spacing rather than the bonkers G3 on Campag so spoke breakages might not be quite so serious. That said, G3 is great if you use a bike box to store a bike at work - makes it very easy to reach through the front wheel to thread the lock through! Who said technology only leads to marginal gains?!
  • roubaixtom
    So i should stay with the fulcrums? If they zondas are a lot better i would defiantly pay the difference of £60
  • garyk72
    garyk72 Posts: 76
    I went from Fulcrum 7's which are a great lower tier wheelset to a set of Zonda's the difference is obvious. The Zonda's feel light, stiff and spin forever. Definitely worth an extra few quid in my opinion. You'll love the Zonda's!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    Should I steer away from campagnola and fulcrum?

You could do. But if you've properly attached them steering away from them will be tricky.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.