Wonder if he will learn from experience?

solosuperia
solosuperia Posts: 333
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Out this morning this chap is pushing his bike, very rural location.
I said are you ok......... No have you got a pump he says.
Yea no problem, here you are.
Ooops it won't fit your valves I have presta and you have the car type ones.
Me: its always worth bringing a pump with you.
I've got one at home............
Bite tongue time for me.
Turns out he had a spare tube and what have you at home and a bag like mine that fits under the saddle.

What can you say.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I came across a family out for a ride yesterday (on the way back from a good day out on the saddle) who needed a pump. I use presta but they needed schraeder, fortunately I'd learned the lesson about having a pump that can accomodate both and was able to help.

It's all good experience.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    My work bag has a pump and a few other bits and bobs in regardless of whether i am actually on the bike or not, they just live there and i don't bother taking them out at all. Have gone past people a few times that were in the same predicament and its come in handy.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    stopped for a guy with a flat yesterday.

After a puncture last week I've been paranoid (needed 80mm valve only had 42mm) so had a lng walk of shame and then picked up by the Mrs. Since that day I had in my saddle bag 2 x 80mm valve spare tubes, 2 x CO2 cans, 1 set of tire levers. In my jersey back pocket 1 x pump, 1 x 42mm tube, 1 valve extender.

The guy I stopped for was using Tubular, sorry can't help you....
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    I was on holiday in north wales last week , took my bike with me, first two days I had chance to go out I had a problem with my bike, so only did about 7 miles total, it took four days of faffing to realise what the problem was and fixed it, so Friday my last day I set off on a big ride with lots of hills route planned etc, I got 6 miles into my ride and theres a cyclist like me fully lycred up pushing his bike the other way, I shouts if he needs any help, it turns out that hes got a flat on the rear , also hes bought a spare that's been repaired and wont pump up, plus hes not bought a pump, so I give him the one that im carrying change the tube and get him sorted , and off I go on my way , until I realise im only wearing one glove (took it off while changing the tube) so I cycle the two miles back to collect my glove , then I realise I now cant ride to far coz ive given away my spare tube, so all in all not a good few day cycling it wales :cry:
    but at least I did help someone out as he was miles from home and I would have liked to think that someone would do the same for me if I was stupid enough to go riding in wales with bugger all
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You will be richly rewarded in heaven..
  • Red face after initiating this thread...........
    The other day about 20 miles into a ride suddenly realised my bag of spares was still sitting at home in the shed!!!!!!
    I had taken it off to adjust the saddle and very remiss of me neglected to put it back under the saddle.
    As soon as I spotted that it was no longer there turned for home and rode with much trepidation.
    I must admit I am quite anal about spares carrying a spoke key, link extractor as well as spare links. a couple of inner tubes etcetera etcetera.
  • Yup, I've done that at least once that I can remember- I went to help another club mate on the ride with his puncture as I have a larger pump than most and realised it wasn't in my pocket. Tools and spare tube all in place but no pump. Luckily I didn't need it that day- might have done it on other occasions without realising at all though.