Frame Geometry - Rose, Canyon, Radon

carms28
carms28 Posts: 27
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Been looking for a full sus for some time now, and narrowed it down to 3 (all German :o )

1) Rose Granite Chief 1 ( with xt group set)

2) Canyon Nerve AL 7.0

3) Radon Slide 150 8.0 (on sale)

All are around the 1500 mark and a fairly evenly matched with regards spec. Spec on radon is cracking for the price. I've been looking into the geometry of the frames and as it's the most important part of a bike I want to make sure the frame on the bike I get ain't cack. Can any one give me an idea what I should be looking for? Or has anyone got any of these bikes, how do they ride/handle. The canyon and Radon have curved lines and look like a more modern frame design compared to the Rose which is far straighter yet the granite chief has had cracking reviews. Does the head tube angle have an overbearing effect on how the bike will handle or is it all down to the frame design?

Also will the wheel base have an impact on how they ride and if so how?

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The head angle effects speed of steering and stability. Slacker = slow steering but stable. Steeper = faster steering but less stable.
    Wheelbase also effects stability and how well it handles in low speed turns. Long improves stability but it will feel like an oil tanker in low speed turns.
    Geometry is all about how all the lengths and angles work together, you can't narrow it down to one or two things but also personal preference and riding style come in to it.
    Suspension dynamics are also important and also come down to personal preference.
    If you're not sure then a demo ride is best to help decide but that rules out Canyon and Radon. I believe Rose have demo bikes.
    I have ridden a friends Granite Chief and I really liked it but 2015 bikes have an all new frame.
  • carms28
    Thanks for the reply, really good summary. so looking at the difference between the canyon and radon (haven't got 2014 granite chief geometry) the wheelbase and angle is shorter and steeper on the canyon so u would expect that to steer better and be more agile than the radon but the radon would be more stable to ride. There's no much our there on Radon bikes but plenty on Canyons. The only thing swaying me to the radon is the spec which I think is better than the canyons especially with the rockshox but I prefer the frame on the canyon. Ha. Too much to think about. Definitely have to get in contact with rose to try a demo. I ride trails 80% of the time so something maneuverable would perhaps be more beneficial.

What is your personal opinion on the 3 bikes if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers
  • carms28
    The granite chief has 67 degree angle and has a wheelbase of 1154 which is the longest and slackest out of the 3 so I suspect it wud be the less agile of the 3. Did it feel sluggish in the corners when you rode yr mates.
  • revmatt
    revmatt Posts: 75
    I bought a granite chief. Teh customer service was excellent, the price was excellent, and let me tell you - at the 'Ard rock enduro recently while flying down a very scary hill the geometry was the last thing on my mind - but the bike soaked it up with ease and does not lack anything in agility.

The decision you're trying to make is like trying to decide if wine tastes better out of three different type of glass. In truth the wine remains the same only your perception changes. Buy the bike your instinct tells you to buy and then, when you're flying down a hill you'll be happy with the geometry!

See my thread on this site or the recent Enduro mag long term test review for more infro
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Carms28 wrote:
    The granite chief has 67 degree angle and has a wheelbase of 1154 which is the longest and slackest out of the 3 so I suspect it wud be the less agile of the 3. Did it feel sluggish in the corners when you rode yr mates.

The Rose would be my choice. I like slack and long bikes but I spend a lot of time on a super long, low and slack downhill bike so I ride quite aggressively.
    You need to be positive with steering input and use body weight positioning to get it turned fast.
  • carms28
    Summed up very nicely. Ha. And I can see your point. Got to ask a few questions though before parting with my cash, as it's such a big investment I want to be happy with the bike for years to come. Thanks for the reply tho. The granite chief was my initial number 1 but after seeing the canyon and radon (especially with the componants it comes with) my thoughts changed.
  • revmatt
    I spent a long time deliberating the same way you did. very happy with my choice though - not regretted it once. Its made all the sweeter when guys on orange 5's ride past with lower specc'd bikes that cost twice as much..!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you're looking at 27.5 bikes then you can get away with slacker HAs. The offset on the forks is generally 46mm which is quicker steering than the 26 standard of 41, or the 29er (sort of) standard of 51. Paired with a nice n short 35mm stem you wont find even a 65 degree HA too slow, and it will be all kinds of fun.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • carms28
    Thanks for your comments guys. revmatt I read your thread....was very good and helpful. Cheers
  • revmatt
    Carms28 wrote:
    Thanks for your comments guys. revmatt I read your thread....was very good and helpful. Cheers

Thanks, pic added.

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12968211