A real dilemma - is it possibe?

satnavsteve
satnavsteve Posts: 223
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Here's the thing:

I've developed a problem with my neck and in the short to medium term I can't ride at all (I ride a Sabbath road bike).

Long term I'm probably going to have to think about something more upright. Even more sportive orientated geometry road bikes might not cut it so I've been thinking about mountain and hybrids.

Hybrids just don't do it for me - I know they'll be faster on-road etc but I'm struggling to really get excited about them. They look so dull.

At the same time, I like the idea of a bike that I can do some forest and path trails on - nothing bonkers though. I live very close to Glentress and 7Staines and Kielder isn't to far away for weekend blasts.

However, it needs to be something that can have a rack, and take some road rubber because I still want to ride regularly after work etc on the local rural roads, and am commited to doing a 500mile charity ride when and if my dodgy vertebrae get sorted.

I have been looking at 29'ers and wondered what they would be like with road tyres, but I've been told that I wouldn't be able to go much narrower than 38c with most 29'ers.

Would any 27.5"'ers do the job for me? Or are there some hybrids that are more mtb biased and handle some trails?

Am I seeking the impossible?

Budget around £700. All thoughts, suggestions and advice appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can go down to 25mm road tyres on many of the 29ers.

Sounds like you want a rigid 29er, then two sets of tyres, one for local gentle trails and one for road use.

Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, marketed as a hybrid but it will work on local off road trails no problem (my nephew uses one for that) he uses 32mm tyres on road but 28's will fit no problem.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I like the idea of this type of thing:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Roc ... _64809.htm

or to save a bit of cash:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Roc ... _64808.htm

but when I asked the question regarding rim width's and tyres on Evans' website, they reckon 35 minimum. I want to make best use of the budget in terms of spec and components.
  • The Rookie
    Many XC MTB rims are 19mm internal width mine are 17mm, both will take a 25mm tyre.

The £600 one has forks that would be cheap on a £350 bike, avoid like the plague, the dearer one is no better value for money, unless you are getting to £1k plus, avoid big name brands, you are paying too much for the name.

Do you really need suspension forks, if you have a dodgy neck you aren't going to be riding big stuff, rigid forks are much cheaper and allow you to spend the rest of the budget on a better bike or to save money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Nor really too fussed about the suspension. I think the trails I have in mind are more just the family type things that I might do with my wife. My only slight concern is I might get the bug, my neck might be up to it with a more upright position, and I will want something that can handle a bit more.

I know from my road bike buying that Specialized don't offer particularly good value in terms of componentry as well, so thanks for confirming that.

This one also caught my eye:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Trai ... _66087.htm

Apologies to mods if this is turning into a tredz ad.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If you do want suspension this gets excellent reviews and everybody who buys one seems to love it

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... in-bike-18

I'd be looking at it as a second bike however I'd like both my bikes to run the same wheel size.
  • The Rookie
    Single speed as a first foray into mountain biking would be a bit brave.

For value look to the value stores, Halfords, decathlon, the Boardman MTB range is excellent value.
  • Ha! Hadn't really looked at the single speed........ assumed it was just a rigid mtb :oops:
  • So, so far, would a 29'er rather than a 650b be the better choice in terms of tyre choice for road use?
  • The Rookie
    Most definitely!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd agree with that. I've take my 29er on a few road group rides, they hold speed noticeably better than a 26" wheeled MTB. The availability of 650b slicks is pretty limited if you're so inclined.
  • Sorted. I picked up an absolutely brand new "unwanted gift" Rockhopper Comp 2014, boxed etc. for £435.
    So still some budget available for a few little upgrades.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Sorted. I picked up an absolutely brand new "unwanted gift" Rockhopper Comp 2014, boxed etc. for £435.
    So still some budget available for a few little upgrades.

Rigid carbon fork and slick tyres should be high on your list
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er